HDD Transferring, how to transfer a Windows Partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JosephDuffy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hey,
    Upgrading to a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD :)
    Also getting Windows 7, and would like to get that out the way, as that'll come before the parts for my HDD do (HDD itself, Screwdrivers, Anti-Static Band ETC).
    I've tried Carbon Copy Cloner, which says it can't copy a non-HFS+ formatted partition, so I can't copy it?
    Can I pre-partition the HDD while it's only connected via USB? And then move the Windows part onto the 2nd Partition?
    Sorry if this make no sense at all :)
    Thanks
    Joseph Duffy

2. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm a pad scared to use that program, I can't fathem it out :/
    I think I'll do a fresh install of Win, I'm 99% sure I've got a Worm/Trojan anyways :(
    Thanks very much for the reply.
    Joseph Duffy

3. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

so from my understanding, u have a kit for this? if so, plug it in, go to disk utility, partition it, click on the 2nd partition of it for windows, click the restore tab, drag ur windows partition from ur mac hard drive into SOURCE. drag ur 2nd partition on the new hd, on to DESTINATION. this is very important not to mix these up, otherwise ur windows partition on ur mac will be permanently deleted!, and u wont have anything on the new hd either. so be extremely careful and pay close attention to whats in source, and whats in destination. good luck!

4. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies :)
    For the sake of giving Win a larger area, i'm going to delete it, which should also remove my Trojan :/
    Only Windows, ah?