HDD transplent.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orfeas0, Oct 1, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Ok I'll be fast. My friend's MBP's HDD died, and we have an older macbook with a broken motherboard. We want to put the macbook's HDD in the MBP.

Models:
    Macbook : 2008 model with 2,4ghz c2d and intel crappy GMA.
    Macbook pro 13" 2010: 2,4ghz c2d with nvidia geforce 320m and 4gb ram.

So, is the macbook's HDD compatible with the MBP?
    Thank you.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It MIght Be

But why not get a new one? Save yourselves a lot of hassle...You don't know what kind of state that old drive is in anyway. You might do the surgery and find it only last's a short time....For sure it won't be fast enough.

3. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thing is, the MBP doesn't work but we don't know exactly the problem. So with this procedure, knowing the HDD is working, we will know for sure what's the problem in the MBP. And why buy a new one when you have one to spare, right?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Guess

But you guy's are going to be really P***** when you find out the problem was with the hdd in the first place (I'm a realist)

But like you say, give it a shot...!

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why come on here and ask, it takes only a few minutes. Unless you're a complete klutz you'll know for sure in roughly 15 minutes from now!

FWIW, they physically fit, but if the older hard drive doesn't has the correct OS X version installled on it you may get software errors.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Klutz?

Hey now I haven't heard that one for a LONG time...The OP is admittedly probably going to waste a little time, but a Klutz is clumsy...If He / She can take the old one to bits and install a (Probably) faulty HDD. then Klutz is harsh.

Broke might be better. As in a little support?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I meant klutz as in not able to operate a screwdriver properly and thus being unable to make the swap.