HDD Upgrade Dilema... please don't ignore!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jman6439, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Jman6439 macrumors newbie

Without going further, I have used Mroogle and multiple resources.

I decided last week I was going to upgrade my HDD in the late 2008 Macbook Unibody. Initially I got the Seagate 7200.4 320gb, which seemed perfect for me. After 4 hours of use, I couldnt stand the vibration it sent throughout the unibody and alot of people agreed with me. So I returned it for a similar benchmarked performance WD Scorpio Blue 500GB. Right now I can tell you there is a definite wooshing sound (as people described as the calm ocean).

Should I exchange the Blue for another HDD (suggestions?) if anyone considers this one defective. Or should I keep my money handy untill the Intel SSD prices go down.

I'm kinda leaning more on the performance than space.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Cheers.

2. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

A while back I replaced my HDD in my 13" Macbook with a 320 Gig 7200 Western Digital drive. I have no additional noise, and very little additional heat from the drive compared to the 5400rpm drive that was in it.

What you're experiencing sounds ab-normal to me, and without researching it any further, if it were MY hardware, I'd probably RMA.

Your mileage may vary void where prohibited.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you're talking about the 5400 RPM drive, the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, I have the same drive.

It's usually very quiet... can you describe the "wooshing" noise? How closely do you have to listen in order to hear it?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A bigger but emptier 5400RPM drive will be nearly as fast as a smaller but fuller 7300RPM drive.

5. altecXP macrumors 65816

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

It's almost unnoticeably quiet in my white '06 Macbook, unless I put my ear right next to it...

Although I probably wouldn't mind 'calm ocean' sounds... :D