HDD Upgrade for early 2008 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jskee, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jskee macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have a 2008 black macbook which i absolutely love. But before i head off to college, i want to upgrade the laptop to give it some new life. It seems to be a lot slower than when i first got it, booting up and shutting down takes a lot longer than before, even though my HDD has more than 200gb of free space.

Anyway, i went down to the apple retail shop and i asked the guy whether i could put in a SSD and he said its not supported, but i hear of people putting a SSD inside. Anyone can clarify this for me? And if it is possible, it would be great if you recommend a few for me. I don't need one with a huge capacity, a 128gb should be just nice.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jskee thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, really useful links.
    one more question, I read up about this thing called TRIM support and i was wondering whether I would have any trouble with that? Seems like only the MBP supports it?

4. Gooders9 macrumors newbie

Hi there. Sure you could go for an SSD, but you need to deal with the associated cost. I actually just upgraded my 2007 Macbook white with one of these hybrid drives:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

Much cheaper than an SSD. It has actually made quite a big difference to start up and shut down times, and the more regularly used programs load quicker too ! Just as thought which might save you a bit of cash!

Gooders9