HDD vs SDD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLewis, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MacLewis macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i got my macbook pro 15" ( Non retina ), i just upgraded from 8GB Ram to 16, now it has a normal drive of 750GB and i was told that i should change it to ssd .....could someone recomend me which one better fits a macbook pro?? Does apple have a recommended one?

Thank you,

Lewis

2. 4zuresky macrumors member

I can't say for sure, but I believe they all fit pretty well. I have a 13' macbook, which is why I can't say with confidence for your 15' macbook pro. Look at ocz vertex, Samsung or crucial for SSDs.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68030

It's more a matter of price vs size. Any 2.5" SATA drive will do, you'd want to get a SATA 3 for max performance. Apple doesn't recommend 3rd party SSDs but they use Samsung, Toshiba and recently also SanDisk themselves.

4. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Buy Samsung SSD's. Either the 840 series or the new 840 Evo. Personally I'd buy the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD since it's low priced, extremely fast and has insane amounts of storage.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Only 650$ wow!

6. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

That's cheap for a 1TB SSD, especially considering the performance. I'd buy it instantly if I didn't buy a SSD recently already.

7. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

8. MacLewis, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

MacLewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tips...this is to install in my macbook, to replace the default hdd, right? From what i can see it's much better then the HDD, a couple of questions though :

1 - How do i reinstall MAC OS X ( OS X 10.8.5 (12F37) )

2 - Do i lose my warranty by doing this or should i go to where i purchased my macbook pro and have them doing it for me ?

I am thinking about the Samsung 840 Pro since i have to start working with AE.

Thank you so much for the help.

Lewis

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

1) Carbon Copy Cloner. Mount the SSD in an external enclosure and clone the hard drive to it. Boot off the USB SSD to make sure it works then install in in the MBP.

2) the new SSD won't be covered under warranty but the rest of the computer will since the drive is a user replaceable part. At worst, you would have to install the original drive.

I have the 840 pro and love it. Buying now I might consider the Evo to get more storage.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have an older MacBook Pro, and got mine from here:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

11. davidlv, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

davidlv macrumors 65816

Almost all of your questions are answered here;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177020
    or here;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505922
    There are many good SSDs on the market now, but I would stay away from those with a Sandforce controller like drives sold by OWC (except for the Intel SSDs, which have a good reputation). That is just a personal opinion.
    I have the latest model Plextor - M5P Xtreme and am very pleased with it.
    I have heard many good remarks about the SanDisk Extreme III (or was it II?) anyway the latest model in their line, they also make an "Ultra" which has had good reviews too. There are others as well, do a Google search for best SSDs 2013, lots of reviews on the net.
    I suggest putting your original 750GB drive in an external enclosure, OWC has tons of options there, and use it for backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then if the worst happens and your SSD dies a sudden death, you will be OK.
    Using an SSD will make a world of difference, everything just feels so much more responsive. :cool:

12. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If you've been using Time Machine regularly, you can skip the cloning steps. Simply boot from your Time Machine drive (possible on Time Machine drives that backed up after OS X 10.7.2 and later, I believe). The system won't let you boot into OS X - instead, it will offer to restore, and you can choose which Time Machine backup time you'd like to restore from.

If you have many Time Machine backup exclusions then cloning might be a better option. Otherwise, this is a fairly convenient option - especially if you don't have an easy way to connect your new drive to your computer externally.

13. nlynch77 macrumors member

I have an Optibay with SSD and HDD. Boots in 10 seconds and holds all my movies.

It really depends on how you use your computer. Lots of music/videos demands an HDD for capacity, but an SSD is good if you mostly browse or study and do homework or something.