HDD vs SSD basics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebird3, Jul 4, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Why HDD has bigger? storage capabilities? ( the number is much bigger then the SSD).

But SSD is more popular and are in the new ( next thing) models.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Cost per GB is probably the biggest reason for the difference. HDD platers are much less expensive than the same amount of storage offered in an SSD.

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

so even SSD offers us MUCH less for the money, we like it better? more reliable I guess. honestly I have never ever had any trouble with any of my older Mac with HDD. I guess that's why I'm wondering why now go less storage space for that much money...

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

SSD's offer tremendous speed over a HDD, plus better reliability in that it isn't a mechanical device, prone to failure due to heat and friction. Prices have been coming down on SSD's whereby they are getting more popular by many people.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

HDD = Lots of space for the money but slow, and can be damaged more easily.
    SSD = Less space for the money but very fast, and more robust.

SSD's lead themselves well for running applications and the operating system of of as well as anything else you access a lot due to their speed.

HDD's lead themselves well for storing lots of media that doesn't need fast access such as movies, music, image archives and for backing up files due to their price per GB.

As for the popularity of SSD's, they make your computer feel a lot faster. So nowadays they are a popular choice if you have to chose between the two.

Additionally external USB HDD's are cheap and can be used for the task of storing lots of data if the internal SSD doesn't have enough space.

6. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

HDD = Slower, larger and are a KNOW quality (i.e they WILL fail, but we know from experience should last decades if they don't have a mechanical failure )

SDD = Fast, very very fast, but can fail suddenly, and have a finite life (SSDs WILL fail eventually, they have a certain number of read/write cycles, then they will cease to reliably store data)

Personally ill take the mechanical drive over SSD for data storage anyday, id NEVER store anything i want to keep on an SSD, they are still too new to be a proven storage method.. Mechanical HDDs are cheap and large enough to stick in a raid, and give space + redundancy, SSDs are "getting" cheap enough to Mirror and put your boot drive on.