HDD vs SSD - Club Use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sanderr, May 25, 2010.

1. Sanderr macrumors regular

I couldn't find this with the search so here it goes.
    Soon I will order a new MBP (probably 15") which will be mainly used for DJing and heavy DAW work. At the moment I haven't had any problems with the HDD on my macbook, but I think SSD would be more reliable for me because:

-at some clubs there is a heavy vibration going trough the table the laptop sits on
    -high temperature
    -high humidity levels (don't know if this matters at all)

How do SSD's hold up against higher temperatures?
    And while we're at it; I know SSD is much faster for booting up applications and so on. But will I also benefit from it when using my DAW's (Ableton Suite, Logic Pro)? I was thinking sample loading would go much faster.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As a DJ, I'm sure you need a lot space so SSD would be very expensive route. SSDs are only useful for OS and apps, as data storage the price per GB is way too high and benefit is almost zero.

If you don't need the SuperDrive, you could replace it with HD and out SSD in the HD slot

3. Sanderr thread starter macrumors regular

Lots of space is not really necessary. Ableton, Logic and Maschine plus all sample packs are about 30 gigs on my HD now. And the new MBP will be used for work only, my macbook will be where I hold my main music collection. DJ collection contains about 10 gb of songs. So if you add some room for the occasional extra stuff 128 gb can be enough..

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, that changes the case then! 128GB is only 300$ more so I think it's worth it

E.g. Intel SSDs have operating temp of up to 70'C while Most HDs have maximum of ~55'C. Real world reliability is still unknown due SSDs' newness but the fact that they have no moving parts should make them more reliable than regular HDs

5. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

@Hellhammer

bla bla bla and now start over and answer his actual question.

In my eyes the SSD would suit your needs pretty well. It is very shock resistant and keeps quite cool. I would go with 160GB at least.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

See my edit, forgot to answer to the actual question because I was answering to OP's capacity usage

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well a SSD would be a lot faster and not prone to motion damage. So if ya not keeping tons of stuff on there a 128Gb SSD would do fine:D

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

9. Sanderr thread starter macrumors regular

I know about the newness but I'm not too panicked about that. Will probably be fine. Do you happen to know what SSD's Apple ships with the MBP's? Or is better to go aftermarket? a few $'s difference doesn't really matter so if the Apple SSD's are good that's fine.

have to think about that one. I can always upgrade later but at the moment it's still a lot of $/gb

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It was Samsung or Toshiba, I think. I haven't heard anything bad about them, aftermarket SSDs just seem to be faster. In $, they are about the same, 80GB Intel is ~200$ so if that's fine, go for it. Otherwise it's ~300$ for 128GB which is the same what Apple charges. 160GB Intel is a beast but beast always comes with a price, 450$ isn't exactly the cheapest.

If 80GB is enough, go aftermarket, but if it isn't and 160GB is out of question, just go with the Apple one, it's still pretty good and saves you the hassle.

11. Sanderr thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the info! Anyone here with experience at performance gain in Ableton/Maschine?

12. assassinm4 macrumors member

you might be interested in knowing what's happening to my macbook pro.
    I'm on a early 2008 model (pre-unibody), which i swapped in an Intel x25m-g2 160gb about 4 months ago.
    Before swapping out I very rarely would get a kernel panic, but it happens much more often when there is sudden movement after i put it in there.
    I did not tweak any system settings like switching off the sudden movement detector, but I'm sure that when it comes to sudden movement, my SSD has a higher chance of causing a kernel panic.
    by sudden movement, i mean something like quickly lifting up my macbook from its mStand, so it's not super forceful movement.