HDD vs SSD upgrade vs 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I rather not rebuild my MBP with an Optibay, because I don't want to screw up and damage it. :p So i'm thinking about the following options.

1. Get a 240 gb SSD ( i'm going to run out of disk space and it's expensive )
    2. Get a 1Tb/750gb HDD ( very cheap, more storage space and faster than the stock HDD )
    3. Hope that the 2012 MBP has Flash + HDD without the need of Optibay ( since those Flash modules are inserted straight on the Motherboard/Logicboard hence saves alot of space in comparison to a regular SSD ).

2. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

It sounds like you are interested in upgrading in 2012 and saving a bit of cash in the mean time. It also doesn't sound like you have a specific need for an SSD, by way of you listing 2 as an option. Since you even mentioned that option 2 would work, I would suggest a 500GB hybrid drive. It will improve boot and application load times, while providing you more storage.

I would not count on the MBP in 2012 to have the smaller flash SSD that the Air has. The Pro lineup will likely remain distinct from the Air (Apple has a proven history of making sure there is distinction in their product lineup) in that it will have a 2.5 or 1.8 form factor ssd. Will still likely have an optical drive as well. Even though the average forum user on here doesn't use the Optical drive, many pro-sumers still do.

I personally have a 180 GB SSD and I store my media on a Time Capsule.