HDD vs SSD vs Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cyborg21, Oct 24, 2013.

?

HDD vs SSD vs Fusion on iMac

1. HDD

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. SSD

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Fusion

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Which one is better in your opinion? Please vote.

2. anton1s macrumors member

anton1s

better in terms of what? Price? Reed/write speed? Each one has it's pros and cons

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

everything, price, read and write speed etc.

4. Stageshoot macrumors regular

Stageshoot

Personally went with the 1Tb Fusion as it seemed the best compromise Price/Performance..

Would have liked the 1Tb SSD instead but did notmake financial sense, figure it will last longer than the 1Tb Fusion, but will consider upgrading if/when the 1Tb Fusion pops its clogs.

If money is no object then SSD all the way, at the moment for me the Fusion was the sensible choice, will be different for everyone, although I think the base HDD is the least preferable option for almost everyone!

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Is this what the forum has come too when people don't know the difference between a HD and SSD?

6. Chipster21 macrumors newbie

+1 for Fusion Drive, good performance, storage and more options (you can use't as is or i if you like you can split)

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I know you can't buy it from Apple, but the perfect solution is a SSD + HDD combo. SSD on it's own is limiting unless you've got money to burn, and I can't imagine running a machine with just a HDD anymore. Fusion sounds like a good solution, but is also limiting in terms of what can do with partitions (still don't think you can use Bootcamp?).

Managing data across a separate SSD and HDD is pretty straight forward, and gives you the best of both worlds ;)