HDD with Fusion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac Curious, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Mac Curious macrumors member

I'm going to upgrade my MacBook HDD, and I'm not sure of the procedure since I have some Windows programs in an area partitioned by VM Fusion. Can someone tell me the steps involved in getting everything from the old HDD, to the new HDD, without losing any of the Windows programs. I don't have the install disc for Quicken, as I purchased it as a download. Thanks.

Mac Curious

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Your virtual machine should be stored in your Documents folder. That one file is what VMWare Fusion references when running the virtual machine - it contains the OS and all your apps. Simply copy that onto the new HDD, install VMWare Fusion, and it should run exactly as it used to.

3. Mac Curious thread starter macrumors member

Ivan P:
    There is nothing in my Documents folder related to VM Fusion, but there is an icon in the Applications folder to launch the app. Is that what you are referring to?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Nope, that's just for the application itself. The virtual machines are stored elsewhere on your hard drive. Mine are all stored in Documents -> Virtual Machines (by default, I never specified for them to be saved there). Im using 2.0.5.