HDHomeRun Dual 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ryanpfw, Mar 16, 2014.

1. ryanpfw macrumors member

Hi all,

Cutting the cord question.

I currently am using an elgato eyeTV HD to record cable and am looking to eliminate my cable package. Am I correct that if I purchase an HD antenna and an HDHomeRun Dual 4 I will be able to stream OTA stations in HD to my Mac and record the stations with the eyeTV software?

If so anyone out there with this setup?

2. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yes, I've been doing just that for years. But I'm afraid I don't know what you are referring to when you say Dual 4? My current HDHomeRun is a few years old and has the capability to record just 2 OTA channels in HD. I then edit out the commercials before re-encoding it to play from iTunes. I store our TV content in iTunes until we have the available time to watch what we want when time permits, but we do it without watching commercials.

3. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

That's very similar to the setup I have with my eyeTV and cable. I keep my media on external drives and mirror into iTunes so I never have to buy DVDs. I included the 4 as doing research it appeared there was a fourth generation version released late last year.

So in other words, HD antenna to router and HdHomeRun. On my mac, I load software that allows me to access the signal from the HdHomeRun via eyeTV? I know elgato used to sell an HdHomeRun product that was discontinued. I'm assuming the newer versions will work just as well? And by two stations, do you mean you can access two stations simultaneously from two different devices?

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

You might want to look into the HD HOMERUN PLUS. It has a hardware transcoder and with a short setup can have your recorded content ready for you in itunes within minutes.

There is a thread here on it

5. NukeIT macrumors regular

From what I can tell Eyetv can't activate the transcoder tho.

6. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Yes it can. There is a simple work around. A member here listed posted a guide.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1714136

7. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

The two stations available on my 3 year old HDHomeRun can be accessed by ANY of the 4 or 5 Mac's on our home WiFi to record content, even simultaneously if need be.