HDHomeRun Extend - how is the compatibility with Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwijbo, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kwijbo macrumors regular

Seems like a cool little device for those who just want local TV. I have no desire for any type of recording, just streaming live to computer/phone/tablet while on the network. How user friendly is such a setup?

2. ColdCase, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You just need to plug a network ethernet cable into the box and use a DLNA/UPnP-compatible media player on your devices. There are a number of them, like VLC. The player should be able to find the HDHomeRun and off you go. The HDHomerun Extend does transcoding so it can get hot and it does have a fan that can be annoying.

I've been using the connect version for years and that is even simple to use with VLC. Since there is no compression, just passes along whatever the TV station is broadcasting, it is a network hog, however. The connect would not work well over a wireless network, where the extend should be OK..

If you want to record, EyeTV ($70) or MythTV (free) are good choices. You can then stream the recordings.

3. gpspad macrumors 6502

Where can you get eyetv in the US?

Everytime I search for it I get to a UK site, it seems like the software isn't supported very well, but maybe I am missing something.

4. gpspad macrumors 6502

Thats for if you have an eyetv. That doesn't work if your trying to use eyetv with HDHomeRun or if you bought an eyetv card used.

They do seem to sell it, just can't find a US site that does.