Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christafur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
California
Got my hands on a HD Mate sample and it's off the hook! :D
It has two component inputs and DVI In/Out.
The product size is identical to MacMini.

I hooked up my 360 and DVD player on it - pic quality is amazing.
I think Gefen launched this product early this year but never shipped it.
It only works for 20" and 23", but I heard 30" unit is just around the corner.

MSRP is $399 - a big investment but I get a good use out of my 23" ACD which cost an arm and a leg. i'm poor :p

Should I get this? I have to return my sample to a friend. :mad:

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
It sounds pretty cool, but for about $300 more you could get yourself a 23" Dell HDTV. Then you can be using your ACD with the computer and have the tv on too. The HD Mate sounds like a good alternative to buying a HDTV though, got me thinking about getting one if I get a ACD for my lappy.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
rhsgolfer33 said:
It sounds pretty cool, but for about $300 more you could get yourself a 23" Dell HDTV. Then you can be using your ACD with the computer and have the tv on too. The HD Mate sounds like a good alternative to buying a HDTV though, got me thinking about getting one if I get a ACD for my lappy.

Please Give me a link to that dell because I'd love to have something like that...

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I still don't see why you wouldn't want to just buy the Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD instead... unless you really need 2 separate component inputs. The 2405FPW has one, and an S-Video, Composite Video, and VGA/DVI.

And it's alot cheaper than the 23" Apple screen without the need to buy a $400 adapter box... I love mine, not sure why the apple logo is so important to some people!

Christafur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
California
cwright said:
I still don't see why you wouldn't want to just buy the Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD instead... unless you really need 2 separate component inputs. The 2405FPW has one, and an S-Video, Composite Video, and VGA/DVI.

And it's alot cheaper than the 23" Apple screen without the need to buy a $400 adapter box... I love mine, not sure why the apple logo is so important to some people!

Your thoughts are reasonable, but I was suggesting a product for loyal Apple product owners.
Personally, I think Dell monitors are overated - 90% of panels are Taiwanese/Chinese made. Apple cinema display use LGPhillips and Samsung panels. :)

When I have time, I'll post a pic of my setup with 360 and DVD hooked up. It's quite sleek, simple and easy.
Apple, boyyyyy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.