HDMI 1.4 on the 2015 Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by megalaser, Sep 9, 2015.

1. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

What an absolute joke, HDMI 1.4 making it have no chance ever of 4K output, surely they could have at LEAST put a 2.0 port on it so that it could be upgraded later via firmware - what are they thinking? lowest common denominator? They release a nice new AppleTV and cripple it with maximum 1080p output in 2015 completely denying the world of Ultra HD and 4K even exists.

2. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Buy this version. You like it so much a 4K output version is released down the road and before you know it you have two AppleTVs in your posession. Technology and capitalism at its finest. I'm a victim too.

3. neander, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

neander macrumors regular

Its basically a year old product.

Too late to really make a huge impact. Competitors have comparable or better stuff and soon upgrading.. Nvidia Shield, Google Nexus.. and soon to be upgraded Amazon 4K app ready? Fire TV.. and you got the new consoles as well.

It can compete with Roku though..

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

You do realize HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2 use the same physical port and cable, right? In theory, this could easily be updated to support HDMI 2. I sort of doubt they will - it's not Apple's MO. But the basis of your complaint is unfounded.

5. w4rm macrumors member

w4rm

It has a USB-C port. I think they can enable 4K in a future update.

6. Snoopy4, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So...

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

You'll get 2.0 in the next version with 60 FPS. There isn't enough consumer bandwidth to support 60FPS UHD streaming right now anyway.

7. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

I wouldn't expect 60p UHD but they should have made the port HDMI 2.0 even if they were not going to use it yet . . . such a shame they don't get with the program considering the amount of 4K TV's on sale, Netflix having 4K and more and more getting on board all the time, it makes the native apps on a Samsung TV more capable than than Apple TV which is very short sighted . . .

8. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

Theoretically but like the the Mac Pro, very doubtful if that's a practical likelihood. 4K port is HDMI 2.0, such a shame they're not looking forwards . . . .

9. iReality85 macrumors 6502

His complaint isn't unfounded. HDMI 2.0 is an upgrade on the port end. There have been a few instances of manufacturers (Sony, namely) upgrading early adopters' 4K TVs in 2014, but this required a certified technician from the manufacturer to come out and do the hardware upgrade. But you're right, Apple would not do this.

10. mellofello macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat no 4k no care. It really seems short sighted to not include it. Especially since the 6s now shoots 4k, and this would be the perfect way to watch videos in all their glory.

I was on the fence between this and the shield. I think apple answered my question for me.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

True 4K is way over-hyped. It won't be mainstream for another 2 years.

Don't let Amazon,Google et.al. fool you.

12. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    They are certainly looking forwards... looking forward to selling lots of this model and then looking forward to selling lots of replacements "now with 4K" in the next 12-18 months (at the same time or up to about 6 months after iPads get the new iPhone's 4K camera).

13. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

id imagine internet providers need to come down in pricing to bring up 4k content. my friend has a 40mg speed internet connection and wired and his 4k tv was having issues with their youtube app streaming 4k. Enough to make it unwatchable. How long till speeds increase and prices stay the same or lower?

14. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I pay the equivalent of 20.2$ per month for 100/100 mbps fiber. And that's quite common in Sweden. If Apple would only look around, there would be a big market for 4K. The only thing missing is enough 4K content - which is on the way. Once that's here, you'll be hindered by your new Apple TV since it doesn't support 4K.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'll believe 4k is here and mainstream when major sporting events, Superbowl in the US for example, are broadcast OTA in 4k.

16. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

in the us i couldn't get that speed for under 70$ a month. too much for most

17. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Not everything revolves around sports.

That sucks :/
    But still, there's a huge market outside of US, even if Apple is a US-based company.

18. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

The thing for me is it'd be great to watch the 4K video I've just recorded on my nice new iPhone on my 4K TV.

Surely it's just stupid not being able to view the video from an iPhone on the Apple TV???? It's obviously so they can upgrade it down the road.

Typical Apple. Same as always.

I'll still buy one though

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I don't even like football. I go to superbowl parties for the chips and dip. However, it is indisputable that sports drive TV sales more than any other factor. You don't have to be a sports fan to recognize the importance of sports and take it into account when making predictions.

(1) there are lots and lots of sports fans; (2) TV sales jump every January in the US in anticipation of the Superbowl (more than holiday shopping even, but that's not surprising because TVs make a difficult holiday gift); (3) Superbowl in 2000 was the first major sporting event broadcast in HD, in 720p at the time, and HDTV sales took off that year and grew like crazy for the next 5-6 years, plateauing after.

20. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
  21. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

It slays Roku and it's too early to care about 4k. Amusing that you listed other devices that have utterly failed in the marketplace. Get back to us when you can actually get 4k content. Which will be awhile.

22. Rigby macrumors 601

Since when was Apple limited to the established mainstream? USB-C is even less "mainstream", but that hasn't kept them from using it in the Macbook and now the Apple TV. The fact is there are 4K streaming services today, and you won't be able to use them to their full potential with your brand new Apple TV.
    Well, if the current Apple TV is any indication, we might be stuck with the new model for more than 2 years.

23. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

It isn't about Apple limiting itself to the mainstream, its about Apple looking at what their own infrastructure will support and prioritizing what does or doesn't get into the new ATV. As it is, the "cross-app" Siri was pretty much limited to Apple-only apps for the demo because they're still getting the software ready for the release - they don't have the time or resources to add features they're not ready to support themselves anyway.

24. MacSociology macrumors regular

The main problem with 4K streaming is the bandwidth price for the streaming companies like Netflix. HD streaming at Netflix has a bandwidth at 3 Mb/s, Super HD at 6 Mb/s, and 4K will be at 15-16 Mb/s. So if Netflix would start streaming all media at 4K the cost of bandwidth would increase with at least 150 %. I'm not counting in the extra storage for this.

To do 4K streaming for all of their media they would have to increase their prices or decrease the cost of bandwidth which isn't gonna happen at this moment. At this moment 4K streaming is just way too expensive for Apple and other media providers. It'll probably take at least a couple of years until the bandwidth cost will be low enough for 4K streaming.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I didn't mean 4K hardware. I meant true 4K content.