**HDMI - 1080p** Atlona AT-HD620

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr Freezetag, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Mr Freezetag macrumors member

I wanted to start a thread talking about this relatively new adapter.

"The Atlona AT-HD620 HDMI + Mini-DisplayPort (MDP) to MDP with Stereo Audio scaler and switcher box allows the user to extend the usage of their Mini DisplayPort monitor. This device can convert HDMI signals from any HDMI enabled source (BluRay, PS3, Xbox, Cable Box, TiVo and so on) to a Mini DisplayPort monitor. The scaler is able to upconvert any HDMI resolution to match the native resolution of an Apple iMac 27” (2560x1440) and Apple 24” (1920x1200)"

http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

So this device does actually enable watching 1080p instead of just 720p.

Has anyone purchased this yet and used it on their new imac? What are your thoughts of this product?

Have you tried an HD cable box inputted through the HDMI?

Also has anyone used an HDMI switcher with this device like this: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-3x1-1.3b-HDMI-Automatic-Switch-with-6ft-Pro-HDMI-Pigtail-and-3D-Support.html

I am pretty much set on ordering this after I get my new mac but the ability to add a switcher so I can have an xbox 360 AND an HD cable box plugged in at the same time would be awesome. Just trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Also just to add to this the prices on these links are retail prices so you can find both for considerably less.

Cheers

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this is all very interesting! thank you for the post. i do not have any input as of yet, but am very interested to see what happens :)

3. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

My main concerns are how to plug in a few devices via the HDMI through a switcher.

Because I would guess it wouldn't be such a smooth process plugging in my xbox then unplugging it to plug in the HD cable box, then unplugging that and plugging in my DSLR, then unplugging.......you get the idea lol

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

quite a chore to do that with multiple devices :( i presume that a switch would still work though.

5. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Off topic DoFo but I see in your picture you have a drum set. What kit are you rocking?

I'm a drummer myself. Bought a Gretsch Catalina Mod some months ago Mahogany shells. Some sabian aax's to go with

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

most certainly not! the HDMI switch still provides the required power at each port - just allows for switchings, its not like the signal is degraded (THAT much).

yeh man i am a drummer, Pearl Export (1998 kit i think) 5 piece. its old and junky but its maturing really nicely. i recently grabbed 14" Zildjian A Customs and a 18" A Custom China for it. sounds AWSOME. also have a K custom dark ride (21" i think). how long have you been playing for? ive got some recording to do next saturday for a friend, very excited!

7. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

On and off for about 3 and a half years. Went away to school and drumming drop off for a bit. Taught myself, not that great but I have a lot of fun with it.

Now I'm hoping someone who has this device chimes in on here....:D

8. dubaimac macrumors regular

I have both the HDMI switcher (http://www.atlona.com/3x1-Atlona-HDMI-Switch-HDMI-1.3.html) and the 620, but with my mac pro and dual 24" LED monitors.

Did have some teething problems with extension cables but these were fixed by Ben at Atlona ( their support is phenomenal, I have not experienced anything like the response and attention to detail, even posting me private youtube videos to show the testing in progress!!!), now it is faultless, full 1080 from my apple TV, PS3 and xbox, audio is switched between mac pro and HDMI via a shinybow switcher, all are velcroed under my desk, so a bank of LED's, will post pictures at the weekend, its an expensive solution but when the wife won't let me have another TV for the PS3 and other things this is ideal.

9. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much.

So what is this shinybow switcher exactly? I thought that the audio was going through the HDMI and would get to the mac and my speakers hooked up to the computer would be where my audio was coming from?

Sorry I am not too computer savvy....I'm just trying to figure out this set up and it seems like you have got it down!

10. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

11. dubaimac macrumors regular

I was told by Atlona support that it would work with apple tv, PS3 and xbox with the correct HDMI cable, but the other model was better for future proofing and higher resolutions, it also does not have a remote control. it does not have a separate power supply.

12. dubaimac macrumors regular

Again I have gone for a high end solution, a 10 buck switcher from amazon will do the job, you see I have the audio from my mac pro which is RCA connectors, I also have the audio out of the 620 as the mdp connection does not support audio, so I have two audio inputs and one out to my M-Audio speakers which only have one RCA input, it also allows me to have another line out from my ipod dock into the speakers if I want.

http://www.amazon.com/Shinybow-Ster...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280774080&sr=8-1

13. BreadMaster macrumors member

For $280, I'd just buy an eyeTV HD. It's via component as opposed to HDMI, but you get PiP.

14. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

So realistically with the 620 and the 3 to 1 switcher I listed thats all I would need for my setup going to the imac?

I don't really have a need for the higher resolutions anytime soon for the better switcher.

15. Mr Freezetag thread starter macrumors member

Just chatted with an Atlona rep online and he said what I wanted to do would work, but he is partial to the powered switchers (makes sense). But I think I'm gonna go for the cheaper, non-powered splitter because money is tight.

16. thor486 macrumors newbie

I bought an atlona hd620 to connect my xbox360 to an imac 27". I bought a mini display port extension cable too to connect the atlona to the imac. The problem is that when I switch to hdmi input I can't see anything on the imac display, I tried to change the xbox 360 resolution but without success. What should I do? Thanks

17. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the new one requires The Bolt and the adapters aren't out yet but I was looking into this solution. It would be awesome if the put the switcher and adapter in the same box. It should be possible since they're linear anyway. I would attempt to pull things apart and make my own box but that is a bit above my pay grade for electronics (and the Atlona housings look pretty solid)!

18. Atlona-Support macrumors newbie

At-hd620 price drop!

What if you have an HDMI source and a Mini DisplayPort source? What is you want to enjoy both on your Mini DisplayPort monitor? The HD620 does just that and more! With two inputs (HDMI and MDP) with a single MDP output, you can use the HD620 to connect and switch between a variety of devices, all while scaling the video signal of your HDMI up to 1440p (2560x1440) resolutions which looks gorgeous on the 27”. At $119.99, not only is this unit a steal, it makes a great gift for anyone looking to utilize their MDP monitor as a HDTV alternative.

To check out the product click: http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

----------

Atlona is running a fantastic promotion on their line of Mini DisplayPort converters! If you've been dreaming of connecting a DVI enabled Mac or PC with an Apple LED Cinema Display, now is the time. The DP400 is only $79.99 (normally $199.99)! The DP400 is the ideal solution to connect your compatible DVI equipped computer to one of the amazing 27" iMac or Cinema displays, with absolutely no reduction in quality. The DP400 also sports faster sync rates than the DP200( originally built for :apple: 24" monitors) and thus is a good upgrade even if you’re using a 24” instead of a 27”.

----------

For full specs on the DP400: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you’re looking for a way to watch HDMI sources on your Mini DisplayPort monitor, the DP300 is the solution for you. With a full-size HDMI input to a Mini DisplayPort output, with the DP300 you can easily use HDMI devices with your MDP monitors to enjoy HD movies, video games, or anything else HDMI enabled in all its high definition glory.

To check this product out, head over to: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-and-Scaler.html

Hurry over to Atlona.com as this is an Exclusive LIMITED TIME Offer. Be one of the lucky few to purchase at these amazing prices. Offer good only while supplies last, so act quickly!