HDMI 2.0b HDR support? Mac mini 2018

sauria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
Does anyone know if the HDMI output port is HDMI 2.0b? Does that mean that it has HDR support?
Thank you.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Meanwhile I have a monitor with HDMI 2.0b (Acer XV273K). My impression is the monitor image via HDMI is as good or the same as via DisplayPort 1.2 @ 4K60 Hz.

^^^^ However, today I connected an older HDMI audio extractor, which only supports HDMI 2.0, between the monitor and the Mac Mini, to check if it usable for digital audio extraction via Toslink.

Guess what? The Image quality wasn't that good with the adapter via HDMI 2.0. It was definitely a downgrade of the image quality. I guess it was Chroma subsampling 4:4:2.

So yes, although Apple indicates only HDMI 2.0 in general for the Mac Mini, I think the Mac Mini indeed supports HDMI 2.0b.

See also the Apple Catalina announcement: https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features/

Quote: 4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screens.

gigatoaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2018
Singapore
On Mojave I had confirmation that HDR is not supported by Apple Support.

I thought it was hardware related so does that mean Catalina will support it?

CreeptoLoser

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
On Mojave I had confirmation that HDR is not supported by Apple Support.

I thought it was hardware related so does that mean Catalina will support it?
The way you phrased the question probably confused them.

Mojave supports HDR in Quicktime. You can download videos from 4kmedia.org and try yourself. The support is really good and better than Windows.

The macOS interface doesn't need HDR support. macOS is very clever by separating the user color profile for the interface and a HDR color profile for the HDR content. Windows can't do that. If you enable HDR on Windows it ****s up the system interface color profile.

Mojave doesn't support HDR for iTunes movies but Catalina does in the new TV app.