HDMI Adapter for Video and Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vxla, Jul 9, 2010.

1. vxla macrumors newbie

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What MBP do you have? The new 2010 models can carry audio via MDP. As far as I know, the USB solution where the sound is carried via USB doesn't support more than 2 channeled audio (2.1) while the one with audio from audio output does support 5.1 audio so if you have 5.1 audio, then get the second one

3. vxla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have a 15-inch i7 (purchased it in mid-May, 2010).

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In that case, e.g. this will do it

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

6. Audrey313 macrumors member

So a cheaper, generic version can't mess up anything with your computer? I'm not familiar with this stuff. But if it is safe for my MBP then I'd definitely rather save the difference in cost! Did you get yours specifically from this seller?

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

I got mine out of the UK where I live. Yes, mine is generic and has been working flawlessly for a couple of months now. No issues. You just need to ensure that the seller lists it with audio out capability for the new 2010 version fo the MCP. Some of the ones that came out prior did not support audio out.

The link I gave you is a guy with a ton of good feedback, high seller rating and has sold a lot of items. And it specifically says "w/audio". If I needed another one and lived in the States, I'd have no issue buying from that seller. Just me though.

8. erasr macrumors 6502

Hi, I don't want a random lead if that makes sense, so is there any options that Apple do? (UK).

I have a new mbp and want to do this but not sure what I need to order to play video/audio through one hdmi cable.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I haven't tried this product, but, the advantage of this particular item is that it has the HDMI-DVI included, so, you don't need a separate connector, or, a separate cable adapter. Nice to see that Apple finally "gets it" wrt HDMI. DisplayPort is higher bandwidth than HDMI, but, unfortunately, most TV's don't have DP input (yet).

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Generic versions won't mess up your computer. But note that at least one of the MDP/HDMI adapters out there doesn't do the audio part.