HDMI adapter not working after upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fallendusk, Aug 14, 2011.

1. fallendusk macrumors newbie

Ever since upgrading to 10.7, my Dynex Mini-DP to HDMI adapter has stopped working.

I've tried on both my 2011 MBP 15in, and my roommates 2010 MBP 13in with the same results. The LCD will flash blue while unplugging the adapter or HDMI cable but refuses to detect any TV plugged into it.

Any ideas? I've tried different TVs/HDMI cables and zapping the PRAM without any luck.

edit: on my 15in, plugging in the adapter switches to the AMD chip and unplugging it switches it back to the Intel graphics.

2. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Dynex is Best Buy brand, which means I'd rather buy an adapter from china advertised as a shoe for display purposes before a Dynex adapter.

The above probably makes no sense but that was partially intended, monoprice.com is where I got my adapters, all of which work and all were half the price of any adapter at Best Buy.

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's nothing wrong with Best Buy brands. I use a Dynex mini-DP - HDMI adaptor for my 15" MBP and it works perfectly with Lion.

4. fallendusk thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked perfectly fine on both laptops under SL since I bought it (back in Feb, a few days after I got my MBP). Never had any trouble with it until we upgraded to Lion but who knows. Thanks for the link though.

I wonder if maybe the adapter died then and it's just a coincidence that we haven't used it since upgrading. I might try to have them replace it then.

5. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Dynex adapters cut corners and don't necessarily forward every pin, add that to cheap construction and I'd call that something pretty wrong. Not to mention you can buy something of better construction for half the price.

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Where's your proof of that? I've had no issues with products with the Dynex name.

7. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Um, the two I bought that I brought back, the first of which was an open-box item so I shrugged it off and paid the new price after returning it just to find that even the new one was terrible. Dynex, Insignia, and RocketFish are all overpriced crap.

8. mike21190 macrumors member

I have this same problem and I've tried 2 different adapters. It will not work on my MBA but I also tried a MBP running Lion and it will not work either.

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

A couple of things to try. First try restting PRAM and SMC. Next boot into safe mode and try the adapter.

10. mike21190 macrumors member

Just downloaded 10.7.1 and it is still not working.

11. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

That is just your opinion. They are just rebranded products. My Insignia LCD TV was actually manufactured by Samsung.

I'm using a RocketFish HDMI cable plugged into my Dynex Mini-DP -> HDMI adaptor to connect my external display.

Just because you had a bad experience with some lemons doesn't mean the brand is bad.

Try the adaptor on another computer with SL if possible.

12. mike21190 macrumors member

I can't. My MBP running SL doesn't have a Mini display port. I can only try it on a MBP running Lion, which gives me the same result.

13. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Do you know anyone else who owns a Mac with a Mini-DP?

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

Try switching from integrated to discrete graphics. My MBP wouldn't automatically switch when I connected my HDMI cable to the TV, so no signal, but when I forced it to switch to discrete it worked perfectly.

15. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

You paid for a RocketFish HDMI cable?... you made that saleperson's day right there

BestBuy: (the dynex adapter is gone, yay)
    (8' RocketFish HDMI = $31.99) + (RocketFish MBP->HDMI = $25.99) = $57.98

MonoPrice:
    (8' 28AWG HDMI = $4.28) + (MDP->HDMI adapter = $6.65) = $10.93

Which one of those is overpriced? hmmm

16. riverwater macrumors member

I have same problem with my new MBA 13 that O bought last month. Last night, I hooked it to my SONY 46' LCDTV in my bedroom via miniDP to HDMI adapter, the MBA detect the SONY TV, but the TV said no signal was detected.
    The adapter was bought from monoprice, and was working perfect with my 15' MBP with Mac OS X SL 10.6. So I bring the MBP that upgraded to Lion last month, connected it to TV via the adapter, same problem, MBP can detected the TV, but TV said no signal. So it must be a bug in OS X 10.7 Lion.

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I have a Dynex adapter, it works fine, both video and audio is transmitted. Cant say its a crap product... it works on my 2011 15" MBP.

18. emilykrys macrumors newbie

emilykrys

I had the same problem the first one I got was dead out of the box I contacted the company I bought it from and they said they would send out a new one. Now the new one is functioning properly.

19. riverwater macrumors member

I tested other miniDP adapters on MBA last night, including miniDP to HDMI, miniDP to VGA, miniDP to DP, and miniDP to DVI, all worked when output to a Dell U2711 monitor. I googled, and found many complains in Apple Forum, regarding miniDP to HDMI adapter did not recognize many brand of TVs. So, it is not hardware problem, but a Lion software bug.