Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have an ipad 2 and wanted to know before I spend $40, the uses of an HDMI adapter... I have netflix and hbo go can I use it to watch on my tv, andy other use?

Last edited:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have an ipad 2 and wanted to know before I spend $40, the uses of an HDMI adapter... I have netflix and hbo go can I use it to watch on my tv, andy other use?

You got it! You can use it to connect to any display that supports HDMI.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Well, I got the adapter yesterday and Netflix plays fine, but I can't get HBO go to play. I can hear audio but not video just the HBo go logo on the screen of the tv.

Is there any way people have found HBO go to play. Jailbreak, workarounds etc?

I have 14 days until I can return so wanted to know if HBO go can be played or not.

RandomGuy26

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Well, I got the adapter yesterday and Netflix plays fine, but I can't get HBO go to play. I can hear audio but not video just the HBo go logo on the screen of the tv.

Is there any way people have found HBO go to play. Jailbreak, workarounds etc?

I have 14 days until I can return so wanted to know if HBO go can be played or not.

why dont you try and get your hands on an Apple TV ? perhaps one from ebay or a refurbished one would set you back around $70-80..and not only can you play netflix (and i think hbo) amongst other things.. with iOS 5, you would be able to mirror your screen without the cable..

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
netflix for me with the adapter is shrunken down to about 1/3 of the TV screen.

I havent tried any other apps other than the video app that comes with the ipad.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
We are cord cutters, and when Netflix announced their new pricing, I also thought really hard about how much we use the disc part of the plan. We often get a BluRay from Netflix and then let it sit on the coffee table for a month and a half before everyone is in the same place at the same time to watch it. That being said, we cancelled the discs.

I decided that if we want a brand new movie, we could get it on iTunes or Vudu. We do not have to pay monthly for the months we don't watch a newer video, and we can have the brand new stuff without the 30 day waiting period that you are stuck with on Netflix. Plus, you don't have to time it out so you get the next movie by the weekend. You just download/stream it and watch it.

In the last 2 weeks we have rented 1 full movie and purchased two TV show episodes on iTunes and used the HDMI attachment to play them off of the iPad to the TV. They look and sound absolutely terrific--even better than the HD content looked when we had Comcast. I am very happy with our decision. I have not had any issues with aspect ratios--the stuff that is supposed to be full screen is full screen, the movie rental we did had letter box on top and bottom, but our BluRays all did that too. The Dr. Who eps we watched last night filled the whole screen and looked TERRIFIC.

I think disc based content is on its way out, and I'm totally fine with that.

PS: have not tried Hulu or Netflix because we have the Roku box for that.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I am running iOS 5 betas...just sold my Apple Digital Adapter as there is now Airplay Mirroring,,,useful for home as there are no cables...it depends on whether you want to connect to displays at work or other peoples homes if you need the adapter.....I for one, am glad I sold mine for almost as much as i paid. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.