HDMI Adapter w/ Audio... HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcoux09, May 31, 2010.

1. dcoux09 macrumors member

I posted on this topic before and never got a good answer.

I need a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter that also transmits audio. I don't want to buy it on eBay, and I'm from Connecticut so I want to buy it from a U.S. Seller. Can anyone post a link to an adapter that throws off audio and video from an MDP/HDMI adapter?

I bought this one from seller: HDE on amazon, but it does NOT carry audio. http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...TF8&s=electronics&qid=1275365918&sr=8-1-spell

From a user's picture comments, it seems that if you buy this item from seller: Pro-eb, it will work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...V2VO0/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

It seems that what seller that you buy it from on amazon matters, so if you have one that works, where did you buy it and who was the seller? Please help me out. NO EBAY, NO UK SELLERS!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. bananaboi macrumors member

4. dcoux09 thread starter macrumors member

5. ANIM8R macrumors member

I was in the OP's same position and ordered the Griffin Video Display Converter last week (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/video-display-converter). You can also buy it from the Apple Store online (my local store didn't carry it).

It should be here today or tomorrow and Griffin is pretty positively saying that the latest 2010 MBPs should support audio out.

I'll post here if it works.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I used one from Micro Accessories (may be a rebrand of another company's product, I really don't know), and it worked perfectly.

jW

7. lxny macrumors newbie

Yep, for the latest models, the audio is supposed to be supported.

I have a MBP from last year... unfortunately, audio isn't supported through the adapter. :(

- cut here -

MacBook Pros released in April 2010 support audio output through the Mini DisplayPort, and the audio passes through our Video Display Converter. Please note that the Mini DisplayPort on machines released before April 2010 only outputs video signal. To receive audio, you'll need to connect your MacBook to your stereo receiver using an audio cable like our Aux Cable or StereoConnect Cables.

8. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Wow the Griffin one is $40?!!?!?!

That's a bit of a rip off considering you can get it for $10 or else elsewhere...

9. cytefx macrumors member

cytefx

I brought the griffin last week, to go with my new 2010 mbp 13" and I can confirm it worked perfect, the people in the shop would not tell me if it would work or not, but on there website (Griffin) they stated 2010 it would work.

I had to swap the audio to be the TV but apart from that no issue.

10. cytefx macrumors member

cytefx

does the cheap one also give you DVI connector and audio over hdmi?

11. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Audio over HDMI yes, no DVI connector though...
    But then also, you can get a MDP to DVI for about $10 too.

12. ANIM8R macrumors member

Sorry for the late response!

I can also confirm the Griffin adapter works for the most recent 2010 MBP models (15" i7 for me).

At first it wasn't working even when I changed the audio settings, but a simple unplug and replug was all it took. Sounds great and the additional DVI connector is working wonders for my desk setup!

I can easily switch to HDMI to take the laptop to watch TV and then come back and plug it into the DVI connection to bring it back to my monitor to work at the desk.

$40 might seem like a lot, but you're getting two adapters for the price of one plus guaranteed audio compatibility. Some of the Amazon and Monoprice ones for $5 - $10 can't make that guarantee, and I opted for the guaranteed working product this time + DVI connection.

Couldn't be happier with it!