HDMI Announces USB-C to HDMI Cables for 4K Displays and TVs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The licensing group behind the HDMI interface has introduced a new HDMI Alternate Mode that will allow for USB-C devices like the 12-inch MacBook, smartphones, and tablets to connect to HDMI-enabled 4K displays and TVs over a single cable, with no adapters or dongles required.

[​IMG]

The new specification will lead to the release of simple HDMI to USB-C cables that support the full range of HDMI 1.4b features, including 3D, Ethernet, and CEC. Connecting an HDMI-enabled 4K display or TV to a 12-inch MacBook currently requires using Apple's $79 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

[​IMG]

Thunderbolt remains the more popular I/O protocol for connecting 4K displays and TVs to Macs, since existing models are unable to drive 4K displays or TVs at 60Hz over HDMI by default. HDMI-enabled 4K displays and TVs connected to a 12-inch MacBook via adapter, for example, only support a 30Hz refresh rate.

In addition to the 12-inch MacBook, Apple is rumored to release updated MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models featuring USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 as early as October. Those notebooks would support HDMI to USB-C cables, providing Mac users with another option for connecting 4K displays and TVs.

Article Link: HDMI Announces USB-C to HDMI Cables for 4K Displays and TVs

2. bjjp2 macrumors regular

This sounds unequivocally good. Waiting for everyone to explain why it sucks.

3. TurboPGT! Suspended

Only 30 Hz. Which means, its just another thing thats possible, that no one wants to use.

4. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Hence the wait for the new Macs.

You can't release a new line of computers with no easy way to connect to 4k displays.

5. mango316 macrumors regular

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to carry around a Lightning to USB-C adapter everywhere.

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Hopefully this doesn't lead to a lack of HDMI on the MBP. The reason I love it so much is when I'm at a random place and I can just unplug their BRplayer or random or cable box or android box and just plug in.

8. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Right, myself as well. HDMI is as thick vertically as USB-C, and since horizontal space isn't an issue...

9. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

So does the power from the display keep the MacBook charged? Or can you only use the external display for as long as the MacBook stay powered by its battery?

10. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

30hz is fine for people to do their presentations with - no one should be using HDMI out to connect an actual monitor for work.

11. bluespark macrumors 68000

This is yet another reason why Lightning should be replaced with USB-C on iPhones/iPads.

12. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

Alt-Mode is certainly a nice option and a step in the right direction, but no HDR and not being able to draw power is a bit of a bummer. You'll still need an adapter if you want to do work with your MacBook.

13. JilzVT macrumors member

You're kidding right? Apple stalled their entire company to wait for a wire?

14. iamgalt macrumors regular

iamgalt

It's not a dongle, its a wire. A wire that removes the need for a dongle.

15. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

HDMI out to a monitor can do 60hz and is just fine as long as it's 2560x1600 or below. 4K is the only issue. Aside from that, 1.4 is a fine standard.

16. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Actually, that 30Hz is only for 4K. If you just want to drive a 1080p monitor or maybe even a 2K monitor, you should be able to get 60 Hz. Not too long ago, HDMI could only handle 4K at 24 Hz.

17. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

But why not HDMI 2.0... That seems like it's such a hack...

18. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

That’s only true if you’re using a 4K monitor for work because the 30Hz refresh rate only applies to 4K screens. If you’re using either a 1080p monitor, or maybe even a 2K monitor, you should be able to get 60 Hz.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    I wonder if this adapter would work on an Ubuntu Phone. I’m curious because all four Ubuntu phones have USB-C and lack HDMI.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

My guess, and its an uneducated one at that, is they only created it to fill a gap in the market, either real or perceived, and hope to make a few buck off of it.

20. bluespark macrumors 68000

The is the exact opposite of a dongle. It keeps a dongle from being required.

21. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

1. Goes to random place
    2. Oh no! Emergency HDMI party

22. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Stop the madness! The iPhone cannot be thicker it has to be thinner!

I agree though, it would be great if all phones had the same connector.

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Hopefully it actually allows the HDCP to pass through so we can actually use things like Netflix and other services with that need. It's one thing to be in the specification, it's another for it to actually work.

24. can$rules macrumors member

Early... You keep using that word.
    I don't think it means what you think it means...

25. gramtrax macrumors regular

gramtrax

"As early as October..."

That makes me laugh.