Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This on a 2019 iMac on 13.2.1.

I have an ancient Samsung Syncmaster XL2370 1080p Monitor which I use as an external display for the iMac. Originally I used a UGreen USB-C/HDMI hub/adapter which has one 4K HDMI port and three USB-A ports connected to one of the Thunderbolt ports on the Mac. This worked just fine with any old generic HDMI cable.

Then I inherited a brand new OWC Thunderbolt hub (3 Thunderbolt ports). I connected that to the Mac and then connected the UGreen adapter to the OWC Hub. That caused the old Samsung display to be very unstable with lots of flickering. I tried every HDMI cable I could find in my keep-forever cable box and none worked.

So, I bought a new UGreen 8K HDMI cable, which now works fine.

Question is, why does the OWC hub create the need for a high quality cable when without the OWC hub any old HDMI cable works fine?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Because you have to have HDMI high Speed HDNY to use with HDMI spec 2.0 to 2.1 for the newer 5-6K displays! Older cable don't have the bandwidth to do anything past 4K 30Hz!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishrrman

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Satcomer, thanks for posting that.
But... could you clarify "HDMY"?
A search provides nothing (except "HDMI")...

Last edited:

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Because you have to have HDMI high Speed HDMY to use with HDMI spec 2.0 to 2.1 for the newer 5-6K displays! Older cable don't have the bandwidth to do anything past 4K 30Hz!
I understand that newer high resolution displays need newer HDMI cables. But I'm using an old 1080p monitor which works fine with older cables if I remove the OWC hub and just use the UGreen adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.