HDMI Cables?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zacharace, Jun 15, 2011.

1. zacharace macrumors member

Maybe this isn't quite the right sub-forum to pose this, and even so, this question has probably been asked since time immemorial, but what HDMI cables does everyone use? I know stuff like Monster (and almost everything else Best Buy and other retailers attempt to peddle) is insanely overpriced, but I think quality--to an extent, of course--must make some kind of difference? To this end, I stumbled across ECore, a line of cables sold by a company called ShowMeCables. They offer different lines of cables (varying in length and component quality) for different usage scenarios--a definite plus, one would think, over one-size-fits-all cables like AmazonBasics or Monoprice.

Before I take the plunge and buy one for my MacBook Pro, I'd be interested to hear what you guys think/recommend. Thanks much!

Zach

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have some Link Depot's from newegg.com. no issues.

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I bought one from my local electronics store, it has no branding but works better than a Belkin HDMI cable a friend brought over for the PS3. It still costed me quite a bit though, HDMI have gold alloy.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I use the cheapest I can find with good reviews on Amazon.

Its a digital signal. It either gets there or it doesn't. Cable quality can't really do anything. The only thing I sort of lok for are reviews about how the connectors hold up. A poorly amde cable might fall apart. But even this isn't a concern if you are just going to keep it plugged in to the same ports pretty much forever (as most people do).

5. torid110 macrumors regular

monoprice.com

Cheap prices and nice cables. Different lengths / thicknesses available.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

The best place to buy cables is Monoprice.com. Their cable quality is amazing (equal to anything Monster puts out), their prices are ridiculously cheap, and they are rated very well.

That said, if you really want to look rich and flashy, you can get Monster's highest end $200 M2000 HDMI cable for $37 brand new off eBay. The same quality cable from Monoprice would be about $5.

EDIT: Looks like torid beat me to it by 1 minute :)

7. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I bought a handful of these from Amazon for $2.50 each, plus free shipping (they are now $2.47). The are the best HDMI cables I have owned, but to be fair I've never gone for the $200 types.

8. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

hdmi is digital therefore a 0 or a 1. If an hdmi cable works, it works. Theres no such thing as an expensive cable giving you better quality therefore i suggest going for the cheapest. The one thing to consider is the cable guarding, that's the only reason the price should change.
    DONT BUY MONSTER

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I know it's old, but I have to point out the ol' Monster Cable vs Coat hanger test which showed that there isn't even a difference in high end analog speaker cables (for standard distances) and, well, a coat hanger.

10. zacharace thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Luckily I did see somewhere that Monster is just a huge rip...I think I'll go for the ECore ones. Seems to be roughly the same price as everything else (except Monster haha) and pretty solidly built.

11. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

+1

12. imswimmin macrumors regular

Personally, I would go with the Amazon branded cables. I got the braided 6 foot cable almost a year ago for like 6 or 7 bucks. I move the cable a lot, bend it around, etc. (i take it with me when im taking my xbox/laptop around.) Still seems like new!