HDMI Connection Adapters Any Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeM87, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey,

Just a quick one guys am thinking of ordering a HDMI connection adapter for the mac works in a similar way to the VGA ones available and just wondering if anyone has tried one and what there opinions was of these.

Thanks

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

works great but unless you have a mid 2010 mbp or newer sound wont work via the hdmi adapter.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

The one I bought off ebay works fine. I use it to connect to a 24" 1080p monitor that has the DVI port connected to my work computer so I can use the monitor with my mid-2010 MBP13 during off-hours without messing with connectors. I bought one that specifically stated it carries audio -- not all of them do.

If you have a pre-mid2010 MBP, your displayport may not carry audio, in which case you may need a different solution. There are a few threads on this topic with recommendations you should look up for more info. Another factor is that you need to see if the display can support non-HDMI audio while displaying HDMI video.

4. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

mines from February 2010 its the core 2 duo 4gb MPB 13" not too sure whether it will work or not now then :(

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think not, but others will verify
    You will need to supply sound along with the HDMI
    It is doable through audio connectors

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

It should work fine for video. Audio may be a little more tricky.

You haven't mentioned exactly what you want to accomplish?

MRGoogle: http://mroogle.*************/

7. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Yeah that's a very good point that i forgot to mention its to plug into the tv to play some videos and display images etc so wouldn't the sound come through the TV anyway?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sound isn't carried by the HDMI on the earlier Macs
    Hence the need to provide audio output separately

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Only if your MBP will send audio through the minidisplayport and your mDP to HDMI adapter supports audio.

Since it sounds like you have the previous generation model that doesn't send audio, you may need to use an alternate solution for audio. A big dependency is whether your TV supports audio input from another source when video is coming through HDMI.

10. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

argh rite works in the same way as a VGA cable where the video is just carried across then thanks for the info anyway guys much appreciated :)

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Can the connector or the firmware be updated to allow audio or do the 2010s just not do it by design? IIRC there are a few generations of HDMI 1, 2, and 3, (3D) I think, but I've been out of home theater for a while.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Anything prior to the mid-2010's are incapable of providing audio output through mini-display to HDMI, at least that is my understanding, and there are not adapters or updates that will correct it.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Interesting; for running audio to most displays, does that mean you are stock with the 1/8th headphone jack unless you have a higher end system (which has a direct USB port in), or some sort of routing system such as a digital power amp?