HDMI connectivity issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by axisdrama, Feb 25, 2008.

1. axisdrama macrumors newbie

Have either of the following HDMI issues happened to you?...

1. I've noticed that since connecting to my tv via hdmi cable, when I switch my TV input to HDMI, I see the TV slideshow for a split second, it then flashes to black, I have to wait several seconds, and then the same slideshow (same pics) comes back up again. It's like the HDMI connection needs to warm back up or something -- I just don't know why it would show the TV slideshow for a second at first though??

2. I've also noticed that if I go to crazy modifying the volume (turning it up and down), the audio will totally cut out for a split second.

Do I just have a bad TV/cable/connection or has this happened to you, too?

2. applehappy macrumors regular

Same problem here. I actually get a sort of partial reboot sometimes since using HDMI. I'll see the first flash of the pictures on my screen saver after switching to the :apple:tv hdmi input and then the screen goes dead with a silver apple logo for about 30-45 seconds, then it will go back to working without showing the boot-up demo.

3. gauchers macrumors newbie

Same here

Having same HDMI problem with my ATV2 w/ Philips LCD.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't think this is really a problem...

Most TVs and/or intelligent devices (computers, including AppleTV) use the DCC information from the HDMI cable to set the display mode. When you switch to a source where both devices are intelligent (the TV and computer/:apple:TV), they do alot of back and forth.

Interestingly enough, this doesn't happen to me with my Xbox, which has a forced, set display mode (1080p per my settings) while my MBP will flip the LCD on/off a few times to figure out what its doing.

5. bleodler macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue since the Take 2 update, the previous software versions worked fine. All of my other HDMI sources work fine with my display also (Optoma HD70). When I switch to my AppleTV it will flash on the screen for a few seconds and then show a no signal message. It will ususally sync after a few minutes of searching for a signal, I've found playing a song through air tunes so the now playing screen is up on the Apple TV will help it come up quicker.

6. hydrokayak macrumors member

I have had a lot of problems with HDMI on my television, and have done my research. I have a Westinghouse HDTV -- with two HDMI inputs.

A lot of issues arrive when the HDMI tries to authenticate the two devices. Because of the HD nature of the stream -- the devices must perform an HDMI handshake -- to ensure the stream isn't being recorded. It's a form of DRM used to protect the content.

The issue really can't be resolved easily. HDMI is still a new technology -- and kinks have to be worked out effectively. In the long run, it will get resolved (I hope), but we just need to deal with it.

I recommend using component if you really don't care about 1080 streams. I use an HDMI cable for my cable box -- which doesn't authenticate -- so no problems there. As soon as I use HDMI for my xbox or ATV -- I get issues. I just unplug the device from the HDMI port, and plug it back in. It works fine after that. I think that with a 720p screen, the HDMI isn't a true benefit -- just a convenience of having a single cable. Right now, I'm using all component with the exception of my cable box -- a Motorola from Comcast. I just use optical for audio to get that 5.1 audio feed to my speakers.

Hope this helps -- even though it's rather long.:apple:

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I just noticed this problem today on my Panny plasma.

I think it might be a issue on Apple's end as it seems a lot of others are having this issue.

8. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

So, with my Apple TV and my Samsung (HDMI connection), there's the exact same situation as the OP stated: a brief flash, a black screen, then back to the slide show.

Interestingly enough, with version 1.0 and 1.1, the Samsung failed to recover and I would typically switch the Apple TV to 1080i before shutting off the TV to avoid total black.

It's doing something like a negotiation, reset of video modes, or something like that. Nothing to worry about. Perfectly normal.

9. axisdrama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, guys! It makes me more assured that there's nothing necessarily wrong with my hardware :)