HDMI Console Gaming on a Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ptys, Jun 10, 2014.

1. ptys macrumors newbie

ptys

I've got to the point a where I don't have the space for a TV and so I want to use my Thunderbolt display for console gaming. I'm aware of the Black Magic capture devices but they are around $300 which is a bit out of my price range. Is there a way to play HDMI though to Thunderbolt without the need for an expensive capture device?

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

My understanding is that video capture devices have too much lag to simply use it to play a game using your Mac as a display.

A few older display port imacs could be used as a monitor, but since thunderbolt was added to the iMac line they can only display other thunderbolt equipped macs video, not hdmi...

I would love a simple adapter, but I have been waiting for three years for someone to make some hardware that would allow this.

3. ptys thread starter macrumors newbie

ptys

Oh really! Well thanks for the heads up as I was considering scrubbing my money together to buy one, but lags no good. Its a shame that Apple didn't include an HDMI in the design as I'm sure alot of professionals would make good use of it.

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The lag usually makes games unplayable. You are better getting a different display with HDMI input that you can also use with your mac and selling the TBD.

5. ptys thread starter macrumors newbie

ptys

I would if there was anything else as good on the market. I love that display, I plan on keeping it a long time. I'm just going to have to work in a TV then.