HDMI device onto iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 09sroyal, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 09sroyal macrumors member

Does anyone know of any kind of a converter/adapter that would allow me to view something like a PS3 on my 3rd gen iPad screen? I would want the PS3 to still work on my TV, but be able to display on my iPad screen. I could then take my iPad and controller around the house and play my PS3 in various places. Just something I've wanted to be able to do for a while but I can't find a way to accomplish it. Thanks in advance.

2. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

That sounds like a good idea, and it would be useful for viewing blu-rays or using the iPad as an extra screen without messing around with air display.

It would also be fantastic for repurposing older iPads as portable displays for newer more powerful electronics.

But, iPad is an Apple product, and that's not how Timmy wants you to use your iPad.

So you can't.

3. 09sroyal, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

09sroyal thread starter macrumors member

I've been doing some thinking into this and these are the ways I see it can be done. One way is to split the HDMI from the PS3, with one going to the tv and another to some sort of dongle. This dongle would then stream the PS3 picture in a similar way to a Remote Desktop connection to the iPad, for which some sort of app would need to be written. This is definitely possible for the iPad, but I believe the HDMI from the PS3 is encoded in some way to stop people recording it (I think, I might be wrong), so it may not work from that side of things.
    The other way is to use the remote play feature built into the PS3. This allows users to control the PS3 over a network, which is basically what I want to do. The problem with this is that it only works with PSPs and computers, so it is not compatible with the iPad. You would probably be able to get around this, but my skill set is not at that level.
    That's as far as ive gotten. Let me know if you have any other ideas.