hdmi dvi no sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carolfb, Aug 13, 2011.

1. carolfb macrumors newbie

I know there a lot of threads on this topic. I've read many (most?) of them. I've banged my forehead against the desk. I have cursed. Then I thought I would pose the question again for any patient, helpful readers.

I have a 2007 15" macbook. I have a new Samsung HDTV. I am trying to hook the two together. Here's what I have connected (using cables bought at the Apple store the other day): HDMI DVI cable from computer to HDMI DVI port on the TV. Audio cord (has two plugs for the TV -- one red, one white) to the audio ports associated with the HDMI DVI video port on the TV.

Great picture. No sound. I read several posts indicating I may need to make some adjustment in the sound settings in my computer. There only appears to be one setting for outputs in System Preferences: Choose a device for sound output; Name: Internal speakers; Type: Built-in Output.

I have looked for some way to adjust the audio settings on the TV, but HDMI DVI seems to be my only option.

Am I just screwed? do I give up before my head explodes?

thanks to any who can stand to consider this question yet again.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

HDMI and DVI are two different things. That is, there's no such thing as an "HDMI DVI port." So, plug headphones into your headphone port. If you hear sound, then the problem is either a bad cable (unlikely), the way you connected it to the TV, or the settings on the TV.

3. Dark Fiber, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Dark Fiber macrumors newbie

Your first statement is true, the second is less so :)
    Many recent televisions accept DVI (video only) through one of their HDMI ports, often labelled "HDMI (DVI)". The audio has to be sent separately to an "audio in" socket designated for DVI. Exactly as the OP says.
    After checking the Macbook output with a set of headphones, as you suggest, the OP should test the audio cable by plugging the red and white plugs into the AUX input of an audio amplifier or radio.
    P.S. on the TVs I've seen, the "audio in" associated with the HDMI(DVI) port has been a 1/8" stereo jack, rather than two sockets for red and white RCA plugs (the latter are usually associated with component video in).
    Is the OP sure that's not the case with their TV?

4. Detrius macrumors 68000