HDMI extended display problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Father Stack, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Father Stack macrumors newbie

I have an early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" which is fully updated to Sierra 10.12.3. Attached to it I have a 27" Thunderbolt display which works perfectly as an extended display. I now have the use of a Dell E207WFP LCD monitor which I would like to add as a third display. I have read up on it and found I cannot daisy-chain it directly to the 27" display so I have attached it to the MacBook with an HDMI to DVI cable.

My problem is I cannot get anything to display on the monitor and there is no trace of it it the Display Properties. When I plug the HDMI cable into the Macbook's socket the Dell comes up with Auto Detect entering power save and then stays blank.

If I detach the 27" and use a Mini Display to HDMI adapter via the Thunderbolt port the Dell monitor works perfectly so I know that the monitor itself and the HDMI to DVI cable works. I also had the MacBook connected HDMI to HDMI to the main TV in the lounge to watch a film a few weeks ago so I know the output is all right. But, with the 27" still detached (or attached, I've tried it every which way), when plugged directly into the Macbook's HDMI socket ... nothing, zilch. A totally blank screen.

I have read about all manner of possible workarounds. I have switched off the Firewall, the Firevault and changed to automatic login but still nothing. I have reset the SMC but not the NVRAM or the PRAM and I am fairly sure that my MacBook can support two extra displays.

Short of scrapping my idea to have two extra displays, does anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you for reading this
    Father Stack

2. rutrack macrumors member

How exactly do you know that HDMI to DVI works ? Also, why don't you connect both displays through display ports ? In the meantime see if the monitor is detected by your laptop and if it is, maybe play with other resolutions, you can get switchresx for it.

3. Father Stack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for your very swift reply Rutrack - you're a genius and I'm an idiot. I know the cable works because I have tried it on the Dell monitor from the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. What I didn't try was plugging the adapter into the mini display port which I have only just discovered (d'oh!!!) on the side of my MacBook. Thank you so much, I really appreciate you're help. Now to find a mini display to DVI cable.