HDMI flicker?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by poematik13, Mar 26, 2015.

1. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

just got a new apple tv and hooked it up via HDMI (amazon basics) to the ****** westinghouse 32" 1080p LCD in the kitchen.

getting flickers and digital noise / artifacts / static every now and then, over the 1.5 hours of total use today it has happend 3 times, for about 10-15 seconds each time.

is this an HDCP handshake issue? is the TV too low-end to play nice with the apple tv? i hear they have very fussy HDMI handling.

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Not likely a handshake since that would be an off/on picture (more off time than a flicker). Sounds like it may be a defective HDMI cable (or connector) issue.

3. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, gotta agree that I'd look at the cables and connectors. One of the TVs I use with ATV is pretty much crap and I don't see anything like that.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Have you tried the same TV with another HDMI device and cable (like a bluray player)? Maybe you could borrow a friend's for troubleshooting?

One of my AppleTVs is hooked up to a cheap 15" Dynex (Best Buy store brand) TV using the Apple HDMI cable and it works fine. The only Amazon Basics I have are a couple gigabit ethernet cables, and they have been fine.

5. poematik13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tested the apple TV with a different HDMI cable on an HP z24x montor and it worked fine (and picture looked way sharper/more accurate too lol)

im thinking its the connector on the 32" TV or HDMI cable, as per the opinions of others here.

ill hook up another HDMI device with a different cable to that TV and see.