HDMI from 27" imac to LED tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by al gilliland, Dec 15, 2011.

1. al gilliland macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Want to run a line from my IMAC upstairs to the 55" led tv downstairs. Its about a run of 30feet. Can't imagine what a 30ft long HDMI cable will cost me so wondering if there is any other options. Thought about apple tv but I'd like to be able to access the full internet and not just what aple tv offers. Furthermore any thoughts on if I can actually hook up an hdmi cable to the imac or what would be my options.

Any thoughts? Appreciate any input you may have

Cheers
    Al

2. MeliFelipe macrumors newbie

check monoprice here they have different lots of different lengths that are pretty reasonable, you could get a 25ft which is ~16USD and an hdmi coupler ~2USD, and shorter cable to span the rest.

another option would be hdmi over cat5e or cat6 I did this for the home theater system in my parents basement it runs over 80 feet but i think it would be a bit of over kill in your case(not worth the cost) there are two adaptors that you need to buy and a two equal lengths of patch cables, but it works great for the tv over the bar after splitting it to the main tv and the adaptor from the surround sound receiver

in both cases you would first need a minidp/thunderbolt to hdmi adaptor I personally have the moshi adaptor, which carries audio, if your imac supports it

hope this helps