HDMI from MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stephenc92, Sep 27, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

I have a MacBook and a 1080p Plasma. I need to link the two together so I can display 1920x1080 presentations in Keynote. I currently have the Mini-DVI to S-video adapter. What can I use to get Mini-DVI to HDMI?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a feeling that going DVI to HDMI won't work using the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter since it uses DVI-D instead of DVI-I.

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm pretty sure it will work. HDMI and DVI-D use the same signal to transmit the image. The only difference (besides the different connector) is that HDMI can also carry digital audio.

So you should be able to use a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable to get it to work.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You will need the mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple ($20). You will also need a DVI/HDMI cable (check out monoprice.com). If you want audio, you'll need a minijack/RCA adapter and RCA audio cables. NOTE - not all HDMI ports have auxilliary audio ports. If your TV doesn't, then you'll need to run the audio to separate speakers or play the audio through the Macbook.

As for the difference between DVI-D, DVI-I and DVI-A ... I believe that the Macbook's mini-DVI connector will accept DVI-D and DVI-I cables, but I'm not sure. As long as the cables will connect, you should be fine. The MB outputs in digital and HDMI will accept it digitally. Where this won't work is if you try to go from mini-DVI to DVI to VGA.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My solution.

DVI-I adapters won't work on DVI-D. DVI-D lacks the proper pins.

6. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I'm using a Mini DVI -> DVD-D and then a DVI -> HDMI cable with my macbook and my TV, only 720p / 1080i though, but I don't see why it would not work on 1080p.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

DVI-I has both DVI-D and DVI-A right? HDMI is pure digital signal, so you don't even need the analog capabilities of DVI-I. DVI-D is all you need, I think.

My monitor has a DVI-D input. I bought a HDMI to DVI adapter and it worked great for my Xbox 360. I'm assuming this means that HDMI is identical with DVI-D.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you have a DVI-I cable won't fit into the DVI-D port since it lacks the pins for analog.

A DVI-D cable will fit into a DVI-I port though. Apple adapter is Mini-DVI to DVI-D. You need to make sure you have a a DVI-D cable to plug into it.

It's all about the pins.

10. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Right. Shouldn't the DVI to HDMI adapter have only DVI-D pins? Look at this one:
    [​IMG]

No analog pins that I can see. Got that from Best Buy. I think most DVI cables are of the 'D' variety anyways. It would be silly to have an 'I' cable for a digital signal. So I understand your point, but I don't think it is a problem in this situation.

stephenc92, your solution is to first get a mini DVI to DVI adapter, then either get a DVI to HDMI adapter, or get a cable that has DVI at one end and HDMI at the other. This assumes you already have speakers hooked up to your Mac, or you are satisfied with the built in speakers.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now that will work just fine.

You are quite right that a HDMI adapter would only require the DVI-D pins. At least with the adapter I suggested you'd be able to get DVI-I for both analog and digital options.