HDMI/HDCP required for bluray ripping?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cuestakid, Jan 24, 2014.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I am thinking about repurposing an older Dell machine to offload my bluray ripping. I will have to buy a bluray drive, but I was wondering if I need to upgrade my graphics card as well (it currently does not have HDMI or Displayport). Do I need to have a video card that can playback a bluray disc in order to rip it? I won't be playing it back on that computer, just doing the ripping and encoding.

If I do need to upgrade, would basically any video with HDMI work?

Thanks!

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

You don't need to worry about HDCP since you'll be circumventing all the copy protection anyways.

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

So I should be able to just buy a drive and run the rip/encode? The software doesnt do any of the same checks that HDCP does when it tries to playback a disc?

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

No, HDCP is to enforce copyright and your software is to break it.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well, it's there to enforce the publishers' copy "right". The copyright law itself has always allowed for personal backups... the DMCA just made it illegal to break the encryption method.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Pay attention: HDCP only serves the purpose to encrypt the data flow within the HDMI cable (i.e. between devices). It's not part of the BluRay copy-protection mechanisms. Other than the BD standard mandates, that any HD signal sent out from the HDMI connector shall be encrypted. For protecting the raw disc from being copied there are measures like AACS, BD+ and BD-ROM Mark in place. The latter is irrelevant when ripping byte stream from a BD-ROM.

7. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

So to get back to my original question-do I need to get an updated graphics card in order to rip bluray? Based on the discussion I am reading, the answer appears to be no-am I correct?

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

Pay attention: I didn't say HDCP was part of the Blu-ray standard.

It doesn't matter if it's protecting the digital stream or protecting the disk explicitly. It's still copy protection for the content in question.

----------

No. If you wanted to view the content from the disk then you'd need an HDCP session from end to end. You will be circumventing the copy protection and then watching your rip, so it does not matter.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Just as brentsg said above, when ripping, the data stream goes directly from the BluRay drive to your hard disk, being decrypted by CPU inbetween.
    The data path does not cross the graphics card in this process.
    Theoretically you could rip your BD disk with a computer having no graphics card at all, if only you could kick the process off without user interface.

10. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you very much everyone for your help- very much appreciated.

11. blanka macrumors 68000

Ripping Blu Ray is a thing between CPU, disk and Blu-Ray. No visuals involved! It will work without screen and without video card as well.