HDMI Inputer for 27'' iMac (pre-thunderbolt)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lordofthereef, Aug 14, 2013.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am wanting to play my ps3 on my iMac, essentially plug the HDMI into something and have it display on the iMac. I have a pre-thunderbolt unit, late 2009 (will add sceenshot below). I do know that there is a display port, though I am not sure if that is limit to output only or if I can do an input on it. Sound is not crucial, but would be nice.

I have been doing some searching but I am finding widely varying responses. Hopefully I can get a definite yes or no. If yes, maybe a link to the product I would need.

Attached Files:

2. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G4

lordofthereef

3. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2010 iMac which is also pre-thunderbolt.

Our macs have the ability for mini-displayport input, and supports target display mode, which will allow us to use the 27" as a display. HOWEVER, that product you linked is a passive adapter, which means it is only cables. This adapter will allow you to OUTPUT to hdmi from your imac, to say a TV.

However, if you are looking to play ps3 on your iMac, then you need an powered + active adapter, one that will convert the signal and input it into the mini-display port. So this will raise your costs a little, I know Apple store used to sell one by Belkin for $150.

This is the product I have heard a lot of, but I dont have one, so I can't comment on lag/usage. This will do what you are thinking of doing tho:

Kanex XD