HDMI Mirroring + Racing Games = Awesomeness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

What do you guys think?

I read an article how using an iPad with an HDMI cable and mirroring the display on your TV could be great for games and while I don't think it will be good for all games, it certainly could be for things like racing where you don't have to move your hands/fingers on the display itself.

Any other games it could work well for?

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'm gonna need one loooooong hdmi cable for something like this. But I look forward to seeing a lot of my apps up on the big screen.

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

A quick search found a 25' HDMI cable for $8.22 on Amazon.com...that should work.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I didn't even think of this. Very good point. That's pretty amazing if you think about it. The iPad has become a portable gaming system with integrated controls. We've come a long ways.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That actually beats monoprice.com's price. I'm amazed.

6. trssho macrumors 6502

Here's my thought. Dock up my iPad to TV via HDMI, then use my iPhone as the controller. Better still would be a new Apple physical buttons controller linked to ipad via USB. This would make iPad the ultimate console and portable gaming platform.

7. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Jailbroken iPad+PSX/N64 emulator+PS3/Wii controller via bluetooth outputting to the TV sounds tasty.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can already mirror with a JBing iDevice. I hadn't thought of doing that though ... *runs off to try it out*

9. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

If you play Chopper 2 you can do exactly this now. You just plug your iPad in via Component or Composite cable and use your iPhone to control it. Works really well.

10. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Blasphemy!

Link?

11. M87 macrumors 65816

The hdmi out does create some interesting possibilities.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I tried it, it was ok, but the performance on PSX emulator wasn't all that. Hopefully it's much improved with the new A5.

13. newdeal macrumors 68020

awesome if you want to try to turn the ipad while you have a HDMI cable, dongle and power cord plugged into one side of the ipad...doesn't sound that awesome to me, how if it was wireless display to appletv then yeah it would be really cool

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I just don't think it looks, feels, or works very nice to have the iPad plugged into anything.

Honestly, a racing game is pretty cool on the iPad screen itself, considering it's just a foot or so from you.

15. meder87 macrumors regular

I think I got that for $3 or $5 a few months ago. Have prime so no tax or shipping costs. I'm ready with the HDMI cable. Might pick up the HDMI adapter with my iPad next Friday but I may wait for the adapter.

16. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Prime seems a bit of a waste to me. Now, I can't say that I know much about it, but doesn't it cost? There's never tax anyway, and it's very rare that I don't get the Free Super Saver Shipping option. I guess if you buy lots of Bluray or other sub $25 items then it would be worth it.....

17. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They had a deal last fall that if you had a .edu email or you were a student you could get it free. Free 2 day shipping is nice.

18. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

The dongle and HDMI cable yes, but do you really think it will need to be plugged in to the wall as well? Rarely...and if your battery is low, charge it first.

19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Wish I'd have known! Free makes it suddenly more enticing. :D

20. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Speaking of but not directly related to... the gap between the charging port and the HDMI port looks less than generous. I hope we don't run in to many problems with the 2 cables being too wide and clashing into each other. Hmmm... Maybe not. We'll see.

Edit: Double post. :( Ban me now.

21. iforsureno macrumors newbie

nascar school

nascar driving school
    "It's not ideal, for sure," McDowell said. "There are times you wish you didn't have to do it. There are times you wish you could just race, because you think your car is good enough to have a decent run. But it's just not in the cards."

The drivers who do it see it not as a way to make a few easy dollars, but as a means toward a hoped-for end. In a sport where out of sight is out of mind, not every driver has the financial means to stand on principle. To them, being in a car that starts and parks is better than not being in a car at all. No question it stings, no question there are moments when they question why they're doing it. But ultimately, it's still exposure, it's still seat time, it's still an opportunity for someone to notice something that will help a driver take the next step in his career.

Did you read the recent stuff on starting and parking?

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's not an awful idea, but what's wrong with the iPad display? It's very close to your face and feels immersive.

23. michaelz macrumors regular

iPad2 will be one serious game console if apple releases official bluetooth controller and API for game developers. Damn, it will kill all other portable game devices. I need get the 64GB version!