Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doron91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
Hi everybody,

I just bought a new external monitor and connected it to my MacBook Pro via HDMI cable (using Apple's adapter).

I'm working on my mac while the lid is closed since I'm using an external monitor.
sometimes when I finish working and put the mac on sleep mode, the external monitor randomly shows a blue screen with the message "HDMI - No signal" every few seconds, turning on and off.

I have tried to use both of the ports in the back of the monitor (HDMI 1/2) and I get the same issue on each one of them.
There is no indication of what exactly causes this - sometimes it occurs right after I put on the mac in sleep mode and sometimes it can take a few hours until it starts happening.

The external monitor I'm using is ASUS VG27A.

Anyone here has experienced such an issue with an external monitor with a MacBook?
How did you manage to solve this issue?

Thanks!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Which Apple adapter?
Did you try DisplayPort? It has more bandwidth than HDMI. But maybe that doesn't matter unless you want 165Hz.
Does macOS support VRR from HDMI or DisplayPort on this display? HDR?
DisplayPort might have different behaviour so it's worth trying.

Doron91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
Which Apple adapter?
Did you try DisplayPort? It has more bandwidth than HDMI. But maybe that doesn't matter unless you want 165Hz.
Does macOS support VRR from HDMI or DisplayPort on this display? HDR?
DisplayPort might have different behaviour so it's worth trying.
Hey joevt.
Thanks for replying!

Macbook doesn't give me more than 60Hz.
HDR/VRR is not available either.

I have ordered display port to USB-C, should receive it in the next few days, hope it will solve it and will also support HDR.

I have attached a photo of the display adapter I have.

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 11.43.39.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.