HDMI no sound from MBP 13" 5.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AGLuis, Jan 26, 2012.

1. AGLuis macrumors newbie

Hi guys I'm lost in this one. I have a normal Samsung LCD and a MBP 13",5.5 & running on snow leopard 10.6.8. I just bought a generic Mini DVI to get signal using the HDMI cable from the laptop to the tv however I cannot do this because the laptop won't recognize the audio output from the TV(it sends video perfectly). I have tried the same procedure in a brand new imac with the same tv and it recognizes the extra audio output and I'm able to send both video & audio to the tv. So I'm guessing is something wrong with the MBP software...

Thanks in advance,hopefully there will be a smart work around this problem.
    Cheers

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no audio out over mini-DVI or DVI. Only mini-DisplayPort on Macs made in 2010 and newer.

3. DockMac macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

the miniDVI/DVI standard is video only. MiniDisplayPort/DP does both video and audio.

4. AGLuis thread starter macrumors newbie

Srry

Maybe I got it wrong , it just a device that fits on the mini port in the LHS of the MBP but it is used to send video via HDMI to the tv, like I said, I use the same device in a new imac and it works sending sound & video.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You probably have a 2009 model Macbook Pro. Those can only do video out over HDMI.

6. AGLuis thread starter macrumors newbie

And there is no work around this problem? geez one would think Apple was ahead these sort of things!

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

HDMI was around since 2003 so you statement is half fair to say apple was behind waiting till 2010 to have a port to properly utlilize HDMI, but the amount of HDMI devices didnt really take off untill 2009 so that helps explain why apple waited to make their hardware fully compatible with HDMI as an output

9. DockMac macrumors regular

I am curious to see what device you are using for the MBP and the iMac. Would you mind posting a picture?