HDMI no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omarbeh, May 17, 2008.

1. omarbeh macrumors newbie

I connected my DVI/HDMI cable to my HDTV I got excellent picture and video but there is no sound!!! Does the HDMI cable support sound or not? and what can i do to get sound on the tv to watch videos?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

HDMI cable can support sound, but DVI cannot. If you are using a DVI-->HDMI adapter, there will be no sound. You will need to run a cable from the audio output (either optical or RCA) to your receiver or the back of your TV, and configure your TV to look for it's audio from that input rather then from the HDMI connection.

3. jurismorte macrumors newbie

I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR9. I have it hooked up to my MacBook using an HDMI to DVI connection. But, I'm not getting sound through the TV. So, I bought a 3.5mm to RCA (one red, one white connection) cable. I've plugged the red and white connections into all of the red/white ports on the back of the tv but I'm still not getting sound out of the tv.

How do I get the tv to use the HDMI for video but the RCA for sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

4. csjo00 macrumors regular

I hooked my MacBook up using a MDP to HDMI adapter that "worked" for other people on this forum. And it didn't work for me.

Sorry. Minor rant. I bought an RCA cable and had to hook up the HDMI in HDMI on my tv and plug the 3.5mm cord into a special PC audio imput jack.