HDMI on MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Does anybody who knows a little more about the ins and outs of displays and whatever think Macs will begin to move toward HDMI outputs instead of (or coupled with) DVI outputs? I don't know what the limits to DVI are, but I would love for the whole computer industry to start moving to HDMI. It would make hooking a laptop up to an HDTV much simpler (no need for an extra sound cable) and I assume the picture quality could only get better.

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Nah, HDMI is old news. DisplayPort is the new hotness.

Seriously, though, I don't care which connector is included as adapters are cheap. I just want an HDCP compatible output and a new ACD with HDCP compatible input.

3. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Besides the HDCP support, the only thing HDMI brings over DVI is integrated audio. You can get DVI->HDMI cables and adapters. There aren't any issues with going from DVI->HDMI if you're using the display as a monitor. I'm not sure how strict software DVD players are about HDCP support in this case since the computer just thinks it's a monitor.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I do not believe HDMI supports dual-link DVI bandwidth such as for the 30" displays, while DisplayPort will.