HDMI on new 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holsson, Apr 13, 2010.

1. holsson macrumors newbie

The specson the store website are not really too specific...

Does the refreshed 15" have an HDMI output or do I need the minidvi-hdmi adapter + audio cable like in the models before?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Pure digital video output

DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)

VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)

Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)

HDMI output using Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (optional)

copied from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Don't say I can't read.

3. Quetsche macrumors member

(i don't know if you need an audio cable or not though.)

edit: argh! too slow!

4. iSax1234 macrumors regular

I'm almost positive that you will need an audio cable as well as the mini display to HDMI. Current display ports carry pure video and not audio although HDMI can do this

5. holsson thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i only looked at thew specs in the store, not the whole apple website :rolleyes:

thats ars article sounds very good. any idea if the quality is on par using an adapter compared to a regular hdmi cable (e.g. with the vaio z, trying to decide between this and the mbp)

6. breathesrain macrumors regular

7. iSax1234 macrumors regular

So the new Mini Display Port supports AUDIO THROUGH THE HDMI!!! WIN

8. breathesrain macrumors regular

Do the standard mini displayport to HDMI at, say monoprice support this audio without any extra finagling necessary? Or do we have to get different adapters?

Sorry for the noob-ish question- it just seems suspicious that existing adapters would support a proprietary/unusual standard (i.e. minidisplayport with audio).

9. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Does anyone know if the dual link adapter works with any 30 inch monitor? or just Apple's CInema Display? I've heard bad things about that adapter in 30 inch monitors in general - like my Dell

Anyone using a new MBP with Dual Link DVI to a Dell 30"?

Thanks!

10. iSax1234 macrumors regular

@ Louden I'm pretty sure this is Apple just giving an example and will work with any display i don't see how it wouldn't

HDMI w/ Audio : ArsTechnica confirmed that the new Mini DisplayPort supports both audio and video output on the new MacBook Pros. However, Apple also reportedly said it has no plans to release its own HDMI adapter.

It looks like from what I'm reading that Mini-Display Port to HDMI ADAPTER to HDMI cable to DISPLAY (TV, Monitor, Ect.) and then you set your settings and you have audio and video! Pretty sweet

11. jgassens macrumors newbie

It's not HDMI

It's compatible with HDMI and carries sound. Presumably a new cable that will covert will be released - but a cable which split audio and video from USB and MDP is available for previous generation laptops.

12. rwdebes macrumors 6502

argh ! thats the best around ??

where is apple adaptor ? they should make one..

13. vader26 macrumors regular

There is also This

If Apple made one it would be three times as expensive and no better quality if what I understand about monoprice is correct.

14. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

thats wrong. The latest displayport standard carried video, audio and usb signals. Apple adopted this standard in this latest refresh, however the Mini DisplayPort on the MBPs cannot carry usb (as far as i am aware). It can carry audio however

ArsTechnica posted this article
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/new-macbook-pros-support-audio-over-mini-displayport.ars

15. rwdebes macrumors 6502

thanks for the link
    ;)

16. anthdci macrumors 6502

im going to wait until someone has tried this out on the 13" mbp or my local apple store has them in stock. My current toshiba has hdmi out with sound and i use it quite often (at least 3 times a week), there no way im spending that kind of money and loosing functionality.

17. snouter macrumors 6502a

I just used them for the first time last week and was shocked.

The cables I got were awesome in quality and stupid cheap.

They could triple their prices and still be a deal.

18. bolmsted macrumors newbie

Are you sure? One of the reviewers on the monoprice.com site says it doesn't work on the MBP 6. (Apr 11/2010)

19. bolmsted macrumors newbie

Alternatively, what would be the monoprice adapter to get to do DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort.

I'm thinking about picking up a Dell U2410 (on sale today for $448, was $419 and was hoping for lower) or U2711 (was as low as $799 from what I found out).

I think the HDMI adapter makes more sense as I can hook up to my AVR/TV as well.

If this outputs audio over HDMI to the monitor, then I could potentially hook up speakers/sound bar to the monitor and have it play the sound with one cable like the Apple Cinema Display :)

I guess I might have to look at getting a second power adapter so I can leave the desktop adapter plugged in if I want to take the laptop somewhere.

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

That review was written two days before the MBPs even came out.

21. bolmsted macrumors newbie

Thanks, ordered. Now to order the Dell U2410 I guess.

22. schnacke macrumors newbie

23. vader26 macrumors regular