HDMI on new macbook pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lebowski77, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Lebowski77 macrumors newbie

With Oct. 14 only a day away, does anyone, or has anyone heard if there will be an HDMI output on the new macbook pros? I'm hearing rumors of built in blu-ray drives... If so, an HDMI output would make sense, plus it simplifies the hook up to any new HDTV... It really is legit "Plug and Play" when you're using HDMI...

2. TheLimpOne macrumors newbie

Guess you can get an official answer to that in like 2 days, but so far the cases being leaked out don't seem to feature any HDMI-out ports. I'd find that kinda dumb since if you got HD capability and blu-ray in there you might as well compliment it at all with HDMI.

3. Lebowski77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really, If they continue to use DVI it's really a step in the wrong direction... DVI is out... HDMI is in... C'mon Jobs, what the hell are you thinking!

4. marvel2 macrumors 6502

We can hope they introduce HDMI. Take a peek at the leaked pics.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You meant DisplayPort, right?

Not to mention all the DVI to HDMI fun ATI is having. :D

7. MVApple macrumors 6502a

From what I've read there is no HDMI port. I think people are discovering a min-dvi connector, same one found on the current macbooks. That information is based on the leaked cases. I also don't think we'll be seeing a blu-ray drive either. :(

If we do see a blu-ray drive it is going to be VERY expensive if Sony's prices are any indication of what to expect. The large Sony laptops have a very reasonable upgrade charge of $150 for read only drives. The read/write drives are more expensive at $250.

Now when we look at Sony's smaller laptops, like the TT and the Z, now we see a charge of $500 dollars for the read/write blu-ray drive :eek: . There is no option for a read only drive on these smaller laptops though.

Apple's notebooks are very thin and they are slot-loading. If a blu-ray drive that can fit there premiers this tuesday we are probably looking at around a $500 dollar upgrade charge.

I'm hoping for an ips led screen on the new macbook pro. If Apple throws this in, then I'm in with Apple. If not they lost me this round to Sony's AW. It has a 3rgb led screen that can reproduce 137% of the adobe rgb gamut and a screen with 180 degree viewing angles (still trying to find out if its pva or ips although its most likely ips, and certainly not a 6-bit TN panel). That along with a 1080p screen and a blu-ray drive with an hdmi input. The nvidia 9600gt in it most likely means I can turn it into a hackintosh too.

I know Apple wants to be sleek and sexy, but they have to offer specs similar to pc manufactures and right now Fall 2008 is turning into the year of Blu-Ray in notebooks.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

nothing its just HDMI does audio as well so you dont need two cables.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

HDMI doesn't support dual-link, thus no 30in Cinema display capability.

(I don't want to hear about the Type B connector. Go show me a Type B HDMI to Dual-link DVI cable, and we'll discuss it further. Until then, go away)

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Perhaps, but nobody knows. It would be nice to see HDMI with an included HDMI-DVI adapter included, but it will more likely be something like mini-DVI.

As far as advantages of HDMI, I could plug this MBP up to my TV so much easier with a true HDMI output because then I could get SOUND. That's the biggest problem with hooking a MBP up to an HDTV right now (Mine is a cheapo brand so using DVI + sound is kinda icky).

As far as the yammering about the price of Blu-ray drives, well, stop yammerin'! If it's a BTO option, duh, it'll cost an extra $200 or so. Better than paying an extra $200 for 2GB of memory, isn't it? That's also cheaper than all the BD players I have seen, so it sounds like a good upgrade to me.

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

No way we'll see a $200 blu-ray option. Think more $500 and up. The problem with the macbook pro is the thin slot loading design means you have to have a smaller drive which will be much more expensive. As I said, look at the Sony laptops as an example. They have small and large notebooks with blu-ray drives and the price difference is huge and these aren't even slot loading.

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I highly doubt we'll ever see Blu-ray on an Apple machine as long as Steve Jobs continues to stand his ground on DRM.

13. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I've got a 32" Sharp that I got for $450... So not sure how cheapo yours is but I hook up my MBP to it with two cords (well, technically 3):
    - 25' DVI to HDMI Cable
    - 25' Audio Cable + 6 inch Audio to RCA Cable (Originally intended to just have one cable for that but couldn't find one for a reasonable price)

14. MVApple macrumors 6502a

What ground? I don't see how you can use drm as an excuse for not putting in blu-ray support when itunes is full of drm.

15. McBeats macrumors 6502a

thats absurd, i think we'll definitely see blu-ray drives in apple machines eventually. thats like saying, if its 10 yrs ago, apple will never put a dvd player in the macs. standard forms of media are going to be adopted.

16. prism macrumors 6502a

With your high expectations I guess you are going to have to go for the Sony option. Too bad it runs such a crappy operating system.

17. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I am hoping to Hackintosh it, but most of what I'll be doing is Web Browsing, Microsoft Office, PC games, iTunes, and Blu-ray movies. Unfortunately, as nice as OSX is, microsoft office, games, and movie watching are all better on the pc side.

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is assuming that Blu-ray doesn't go the way of laser disc or other formats that died out.

DVDs can house a good amount of data for the moment and if a program takes multiple DVDs that still isn't a problem. DVDs also have the added benefit of being dirt cheap and being almost universal between every computer.

The floppy disk met its death because of the small size. It'll be quite awhile before ~8GB from a dual layer DVD is too small for the average user.

There is also a chance of portable hard drives (think USB powered 120GB fits in your hand) replacing optical media if the price drops low enough. :)

All that said if there is a BTO Blu-ray option of course I'm buying it, but I don't need it and I don't think it is needed.

19. Mackan macrumors 65816

There is a chance they will use Mini-DisplayPort.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Rumor has it, the new computer will have a screen. I can dream.:rolleyes:

21. prism macrumors 6502a

Well you will miss on having best of both worlds: ie OSX as core and XP virtualized with office etc on the pc side. Combine that with OSX Spaces and you get sheer bliss.

22. Rokln macrumors newbie

Hate to burst your bubble, but HDMI does support up to 2560x1600 (or 1600P) and will work find on your 30" display.

23. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Why would they put a HDMI port on it?

I want FW800 on the macbooks.

Blu-Ray drives would be nice, but only if they are under $250 add on.

24. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Apparently you haven't been following the case leak threads? I think the MBPs were lucky to get FW800 this time around, and 400 is certainly out of the question.

25. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, DRM has everything to do with this, at least in an indirect way. iTunes is DRM because it has to be. That was the deal that was negotiated with the Big Four when the iTunes Music Store launched. And Apple has gotten a lot of mileage out of that deal by negotiating very reasonable fair usage rights on downloaded songs. But that doesn't mean Steve Jobs isn't anti-DRM. This article pretty well sums up his stance on the situation.

Blu-ray support for Apple is a far more complicated beast and it still has a lot to do with DRM. Apple has sat on the Blu-ray steering committee since its inception yet they've done nothing about it and it's too little, too late. HDCP is a form of DRM, yet Apple hasn't implemented it in anything, save for the HDMI output equipped on the Apple TV. Here's what would happen if Apple offered Blu-ray on the new MBPs tomorrow:

1. You'd only be able to use it for BD data and theoretically, disc authoring.

2. Consumers would be very upset that they can't watch commercial BD movies on their new laptops while Sony has been able to do so for almost 2 years. The graphics chipsets might be HDCP compliant, but Mac OS and every Apple display currently manufactured isn't.

It would be a total disaster for Apple if they released a Blu-ray equipped product tomorrow. If anything, I wouldn't expect to see official HDCP compliance from Apple until Snow Leopard. But I'm not holding my breath on that one...

Apple dug their own grave on this one....or did they? Blu-ray simply won't have the same commercial life DVD has enjoyed. Why? The use of optical media for film distribution is becoming obsolete in favor of DRM-protected streaming content. Besides, paying $30-35 for a typical BD title is obscene. And I don't expect to see that change, either. BD will turn into one of those novelties like Laserdisc was.