HDMI or ARC Issues. Help!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by willmtaylor, Apr 3, 2018.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I’m reaching the end of my rope with Google solutions that are vaguely similar to the issue I’m having.

I’m trying to set up my new TCL 55P607 TV with my Yamaha RX-V377 receiver using strictly HDMI.
    • Currently, I can get video, and I can get the receiver controls to show up on the TV screen, but I have no audio.
    • Current setup: Satellite box —> V377 HDMI input/HDMI ARC output —> TV input
    I THINK the issue is audio settings with the receiver, but I’ve tried so many different variations over so many hours that I’m somewhere between flabbergasted, flummoxed, and finished.

Any ideas? Anyone have anything close to this or experience with Yamaha receivers?

TIA,
    Will

2. Michelasso, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I have a Yamaha RX-V483 and the rare times I get issues with the audio from my HDMI devices not playing it's because the audio input channel is wrong. The video still shows because it passes through the HDMI (and the TV has the HDMI ARC port selected in input).

For example if my ATV 4K is on HDMI 1, HDMI 1 must be selected in the AVR. If the AVR doesn't select it automatically, select HDMI 1 (or the HDMI port you're using for your satellite box) manually from the AVR remote.

One last thing, all of this should be automatic enabling HDMI-CEC in all devices (Satellite, AVR, TV). In my Yamaha it's called "HDMI Control" in the HDMI settings. If your Satellite doesn't support HDMI-CEC you may have to always switch to the right input channel manually.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but you 100% have ARC turn on, on the TV and external source selected for audio?

For example, I have an LG TV and if Simplink (its version of HDMI-CEC) is not turned on, I will get video but no sound when going through the AVR.

4. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes. I’ve seen so many forum posts in my search with so many folks that DIDNT have this enabled. However, mine are. Thanks for checking though!

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Is this issue only with your cable box? Have you tried a blu-ray player? If you can try a blu-ray player that supports split audio/video and see if that works.

I knew right away that this must be something really odd because I always seeing you answering questions, not asking.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

If you're sourcing the signal from the satellite box and not from the TV, it's unlikely to be anything to do with ARC.

My previous receiver was a low-end Yamaha; one of the things I found odd was that selecting the input required two steps: selecting the 'device' (e.g. "DVD", "DTV/CBL") then also selecting which port type for that device (component or HDMI).

If that doesn't help, what audio format is the satellite box outputting?