Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjcorbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I want to run a hdmi signal over a long distance and was going to use a cat5 cable but can't find a mini displayport to cat5 converter or a hdmi to cat5 converter. I'm not sure this is even possible, but don't know why it wouldn't be because you can stream HD content over the internet using cat5. And a long cat5 cable is a lot cheaper than hdmi cables and extenders. Can you pleae help me.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
HDMI and Ethernet are two very different protocols used for two very different things. You need to define how long of a distance you want to transmit this data first. Then when we have that information we can determine what options you have.

Hoodles

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
HDMI is a media interface whereas Cat5 transmits signal data in things like ethernet networks. Sure, you can stream information over a cat5, but it has to be interpreted by hardware on the other side. Various media servers are used in this scenario. HDMI passes video and audio data to display hardware. TV sets and receiver boxes know how to interpret this formatted data and output media.

You cannot simply buy a cable that passes data from an HDMI/displayport to a cat5, the protocols are different. You either need to stream data from an ethernet cable to media hardware that can output the feed to an HDMI (or other A/V output) or use a displayport to HDMI connector, and directly connect to your TV/receiver.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
And a big touche' to the first couple of replies :)

Not at all. He never mentioned the distance so you have no idea if this will work for him. I asked what the distance was and said the HDMI and Ethernet were two very different protocols. Don't really see how that is "a big touche'" unless you are trying to start a fight.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
The first two replies are misinterpreting the problem. The OP wants to use the wires in a cat 5 cable as a HDMI cable. Wires are wires, so it should work as long as there are not impedance/crosstalk/twisting/shielding issues that make the signals transmitted incompatible. Otherwise the cable doesn't care what kind of data it transmits.

The above adapter requires Cat6a shielded (STP) cable for runs between 30-50 meters. It's probably a good idea to use that kind of cable even for shorter runs if possible, for best results.

Monoprice sells Cat6a STP cables for a reasonable price
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10232&cs_id=1023216&p_id=5905&seq=1&format=2
(also in a variety of other lengths).

edit: I though I'd add that HD over the internet is streamed highly compressed and requires very complex encoding and somewhat complex decoding. HDMI sends data uncompressed, so instead of megabytes per second it requires gigabytes per second (up to 10gbps for the latest HDMI spec at the highest resolution).

For extremely long distances (more then the length allowed that adapter), fiber optic transmission would probably be required. But once you go to fiber, there is virtually no length limit.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Not at all. He never mentioned the distance so you have no idea if this will work for him. I asked what the distance was and said the HDMI and Ethernet were two very different protocols. Don't really see how that is "a big touche'" unless you are trying to start a fight.

Sigh - If they're "two different protocols" as originally suggested then it doesn't matter if it's 1 foot or 1 mile - the implication was that a different solution than HDMI/Catx would be required and distance would affect that other potential solution, thus becoming an important factor.

Whatever man, not trying to start a fight just pointing out humor I saw in the first two very educated sounding replies frankly totally missing the point. He asked for "an hdmi to cat5 converter": two replies talking about perceived problems and protocol issues - one link with the absolute solution. Sorry but when you work in the IT world like I do that's funny...

The first two replies are misinterpreting the problem.

See - I'm not the only one that thought it missed the issue.

mjcorbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
HDMI and Ethernet are two very different protocols used for two very different things. You need to define how long of a distance you want to transmit this data first. Then when we have that information we can determine what options you have.
The distance I want to cover is about 50 feet.

mjcorbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry but i guess i didn't state my problem clear enough but i couldn't think of another way to ask it. Anyway thanks for the monoprice solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.