HDMI or VGA connection for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joe16, Sep 14, 2008.

1. joe16 macrumors newbie

joe16

hello everyone. i'm looking to hookup my macbook to my 19" Element HDTV so i could watch online content such as hulu. i know what connections i would need to get. my problem is that i don't know if i should get a mini-dvi to vga adapter then a vga cable, or a mini-dvi to dvi adapter then a dvi-hdmi cable. i heard that the hdmi hookup is sometimes sketchy with computers, but it would be nice to have the hi-def quality as well. my tv supports up to a 1440x900 resolution and 720p video. so which hookup should i get? thanks for any feedback :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Go up, not down. Go for the HDMI. You need either a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter or, if they do not make those, a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and then either a DVI to HDMI adapter or DVI to HDMI cable (they make those).

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I hooked my MacBook up to my 42" 1080p Samsung LCD TV and I can say I prefered a 15 pin VGA connection over HDMI. On my tv with HDMI I don't get full screen usage. There is a 2"-3" border on each side of the screen and it kinda annoyed me and I had no way to directly hook up audio to the tv with hdmi (my surround sound receiver is on the fritz). With VGA, I was able to display the full resoultion of my tv with no borders and use the audio input for the tv. Be warned though, you need a 15 pin VGA cable to support high resolutions. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get above 1200x800 with a standard VGA cable.