HDMI out (Moshi Adaptor) 1080p "shudder"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Entopia7, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro 15" with a mini displayport, and I decided I would share my LCD monitor with my windows box. The desktop box is connected with DVI and I have connected my Macbook through an HDMI adaptor from Moshi. Everything works very well, and I'm pleased with the quality of the output, but I'm having trouble with a screen flicker in full screen games.

When I select full 1080p (1900x1080) in any full screen game, the screen "shudders." It does not occur on the OS X desktop, and I can only explain it as a shudder. Lines and text shift perceptively left and right, and the game is unplayable. I have experienced this problem in Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, and Half Life: Episode 2 so far.

Could the problem be with my monitor and the way it handles an HDMI signal? The Macbook is flawless otherwise, with no other issues of any kind. The "shudder" only occurs during full screen games set to 1900x1080. Lower resolutions are not effected and work fine...

I'm stumped.

Edit: I should add that I have no other 1080p capable devices to test the output with.

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Of course your graphics card will have trouble playing video games at full 1080 rez.

3. Entopia7 thread starter macrumors regular

It is not a performance issue, I'm afraid, and I'm not describing my framerate. The entire screen is shuddering and flickering, and even looking at the screen is uncomfortable for more than 10 seconds at a time. I understand the limitations of my hardware.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

5. Entopia7 thread starter macrumors regular

I can choose between 50hz and 60hz from the OS X dialog, but neither setting alleviates the shudder. Since it only occurs on the highest resolution (native for the monitor) I'm beginning to think it's a hardware issue on the monitor's end...

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I get the flicker/shudder on my vizio with my mbp and ps3 so I think it must be a problem with the tv since even the ps3 has problems...

7. Entopia7 thread starter macrumors regular

That makes me feel better about the situation. I suppose I'll end up getting a DVI adaptor and just connecting that way. It would be nice to have each computer on a separate input, though. Oh well... Thanks for the replies, all.

8. BaronStein macrumors regular

I have the same adapter and it works flawlessly. It might be related with your lcd monitor. You might want to try changing the resolution or display mode.

9. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I'd have to say, it is probably the LCD.

Have a 2010 MBP 15" and have used the Moshi HDMI adapter and GriffinTech HDMI adapter. Both worked fine with no issues when playing games 1080 mode.