HDMI out via thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by anez, Jun 7, 2011.

1. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Newbie here contemplating purchasing an iMac, but only if it's possible to hook it up to an external HDMI monitor. The monitor in question does not have a DVI connector, only VGA and HDMI, and I don't want to go back to VGA after having HDMI for a year or two now.

I've read several threads here and done a bit with google, but I haven't seen a definitive answer to this question. Has anyone hooked up their 21/27" iMac via Thunderbolt ports to an external HDMI monitor for extended desktop usage?

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

A Displayport to HDMI adapter should work just fine

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

And I can personally vouch for the Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter working great on the new MacBook Pros

4. Mr.Badman macrumors newbie

I have the same question, and I've heard the same answer, but my question is about audio. I believe the Moshi adapter available on the apple website is the only one that transmits audio with the video and it is incompatible with the 2011 iMac.

Has anyone tried that yet?

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Not true I've used a few different cables that transmit audio

6. mikef137 macrumors newbie

HDMI cable works

I have a 2011 27" Thunderbolt iMac with a 27" Cinema display and Samsung HDTV connected through the two Thunderbolt ports.

The Samsung 1080p tv is connected via a Kanex cable purchased through the apple store. I can direct sound through this connection, although I use the iMac speakers instead.

Here is the cable:
    [​IMG]

I do get this dialog box when directing sound to the TV, but I can use the tv control to adjust volume.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/5808690617_59809f8e24.jpg"

7. Mr.Badman macrumors newbie

All my problems have been solved! Thanks Macthourities!

8. anez thread starter macrumors 6502

anez

Thanks, everyone; replies have been very helpful. Now I just have to decide on whether or not I want to shell out the extra $$$ for the 27" version or stick with the 21" one.

Thanks again! :)