HDMI output PCI cards for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Grimace, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I know about the card from Blackmagic that has an HDMI in and 1080i output - but where are the rest of the cards?

HDMI in is not my main concern, I understand why they would have to make cards without HDCP so that you don't burn perfect copies of protected material (Blackmagic's card does not have HDCP).

I just want a HDMI PCI card that takes 1080p out (don't care about having an input) and channels the full digital audio too. Since there aren't any of these on the market, I wonder what I am missing. Why would manufacturers be tripping over themselves to make a card that ties into the "home theater"?

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Get a DVI to HDMI adapter and use the optical audio port in your MP.

[​IMG]

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Thanks LZ but I have one of those. Getting from DVI to HDMI is not the problem. I am running a 50ft HDMI cable from my Mac Pro to a Receiver (then projector) in the next room. I could run an optical cable too but it's kind of annoying to run an additional cable whose signal inside of the HDMI cable that is already there!

It's just hard to believe that HDMI has been on every recent a/v receiver but there is still no way to hook in the audio and video (together) for a computer. Oh well, maybe computers--->a/v receivers is a niche market.

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

5. eviltobz macrumors member

you'd need to get audio into the video card somehow to join it in to the hdmi feed, how would you manage this? some people use the built in audio, some people add internal soundcards, others, like myself, use external ones. the only option i can see to cover all these would require the video car to have a bunch of external audio in sockets for you to route in your audio so it can bundle it into the signal from whatever audio hardware you use.

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Blackmagic has an HDMI in and 1080i output - with the PCI bus, you can route the audio and video. Guess it's just too much for most manufacturers right now.

[​IMG]

7. Yveworth macrumors newbie

I know this thread is hold but i came across it while researching the topic.....

Will that DVI to HDMI adapter that lord zedd posted a picture of really display a 1080i image or does it convert the HD signal to DVI?

I'd like to display my HD video that is on my computer onto a 1080i LCD tv

8. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

9. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

HDMI is DVI, there is nothing to convert except the plug shape!

10. kingdomfilms macrumors newbie

1080 out of dvi

Grimace, you said that you can display 1080 through dvi. How do you go about that? I bought a dvi to hdmi cable, but when I played video out from final cut pro it was not 1080.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I have a Dell monitor that does 1080 and its DVI.

12. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

13. Maccarat macrumors newbie

Get a DVI+Toslink to HDMI converter

You don't need a special PCI card for HDMI. Get this DVI+Toslink to HDMI converter instead:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2

You connect your DVI cable and optical audio to the input ports on the box, then you connect a regular HDMI cable to the output port, and then run that to your display.

I am using this on my Mac Pro to connect to a 52" Samsung LCD TV. It works very well.

14. goMac macrumors 603

You just select 1920x1080 as the resolution.

1920x1080 = 1080p.