HDMI port on MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreyMatta, Jan 25, 2008.

1. GreyMatta macrumors regular

any chance of the MBP getting a HDMI port in the near future ?

I would love to plug one into my 1080p TV without using mini-DVI -> DVI -> HDMI adaptors and then using yet more adaptors to get audio into the TV as well.

one HDMI port would solve all that :)

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the macbook pro doesn't use mini dvi. you would only need a dvi-hdmi cable and another cable for audio. to answer your question, though, i don't see it in apple's future. but that's just a guess.

3. nzoMD macrumors member

I hope they do.. HDMI are becoming more and more common on laptops and will soon be standard in most.... so hopefully they do it soon... im betting that by next year they'll have a model with an HDMI output.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

HDMI is horrible. Keep DVI or go to DMS-59 to allow for 2 external monitors on the same port.

TEG

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell me if you can go HDMI-VGA?
    HDMI-SVideo?
    HDMI-Composite

DVI can.

DVI-VGA
    DVI-DVI
    DVI-HMDI
    DVI-SVideo
    DVI-Composite
    Are all possible, if HDMI can't then I don't want it. I will stick with my DVI, a much more versatile connector. Either way, a cable is running from your laptop.

6. bubble27 macrumors regular

if apple sorts out some miracle and shoves a nvidia 8800 in their then you can plug it in :D

but doubt that will happen....unless the 8700 has such an output?

7. BigPana macrumors newbie

BigPana

Yeah, my uncle has a giant Toshiba laptop that has the 8700, and it has an HDMI port.

8. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why you want so many connections?
    IMHO I prefer one way and to be the highest resolution I can get, unfortunately many current products that use HDMI only use the video and the audio requires a separate cable.
    I would like to see an HDMI port that uses both audio and video on apple products, and that will require them to add more hardware.
    ________
    strawberry cough pictures

9. wildmilne macrumors regular

But you also have no digital audio carried on DVI..

10. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

What are the various merits of DVI and HDMI?

Though the cost of LCD TVs are cheaper than monitors, they do however have lower native resolution as well. I've also thought about purchasing a 32" LCD TV as a monitor, but never understand any shortfalls of it.

Anyone experienced enough to give some comments?

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I really wish that the MacBook Air had HDMI, but it's not really an option for the MacBook Pro. I don't see Apple ever having a machine that has ports for both DVI and HDMI, and the MacBook Pro needs DVI so it can drive a 30'' display.

12. GreyMatta thread starter macrumors regular

an adaptor that converts DVI and the head phone jack to HDMI would be cool as well

running two cables plus various adaptors to the TV is a pain in the a*** plus I have to use a certain HDMI port on my TV to be able to use a separate audio input (TV is wall mounted and its right at the back)

13. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Most of the high def TV set handle 1080p, 1080i, 720p in their vertical lines resolution, however it will depend on your Mac's video card the maximum video resolution you will enjoy.

What I can comment is that I connect my MacBook to my 40" LCD Sony Bravia XBR2 TV with the apple miniDVI to DVI connector + a DVI to HDMI cable, and I love the way it looks, specially when using Front Row to watch pics, movies, etc.

HDMI has the capability to give you the video and audio signal (dolby surround), the way I see it is that HDMI is like DVI but with digital sound, however not all the HDMI equipment out there in the market handle the audio.

In my case I need to also connect an audio cable from the MacBook audio port to my TV/Home Theater receiver.

Also DVI connector is bigger than DVI, and I believe the HDMI cables are more accessibles now. When looking to buy a cable don't pay a preimum with monster cables, the signal is digital so any non-premium brand cable will work fine.
    ________
    marijuana dispensaries

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

'Converting' like this cannot be done.

The reason the MacBook Pro DVI output will also 'convert' to VGA is that it's actually two sockets in one.

Look around the + shaped pin at the end of the MBP socket, there are 4 extra pins which aren't normally present on a DVI socket. These are actually VGA in disguise. When you use your DVI-VGA adapter with your MBP, it's literally just taking those four pins and wiring them differently into a normal VGA connection.

VGA is an analogue signal (it's actually component in disguise), and DVI (the normal type) is a digital signal. Converting between the two essentially requires a picture processor and appropriate modulator/demodulator which can get VERY expensive. Think of it as a TV without the actual screen (all the internal 'picture processing' gubbins).

HDMI and DVI are actually both connection types, not 'types of signal', in much the same way Scart isn't actually a way of transferring picture/sound, but Composite or RGB is.

As far as video goes, HDMI and DVI carry uncompressed video, and an assortment of audio types such as PCM (what CDs use), AAC (what's more often than not found in DTS and Dolby Digital).

15. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

HDMI is just DVI with digital audio and HDCP support (though some DVI connections also support HDCP) in a smaller connection package. Only thing I can't recall is if HDMI can carry analog signals like DVI can.

More details here...

http://www.abccables.com/info-dvi-hdmi.html

16. mortirius macrumors newbie

You must be out your mind HDMI is the best connection out atm

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

VGA and Component are not the same. RGB versus Y Pb Pr.

and what you are referring to above is DVI I and typical for most PCs. DVI I can pass both analogue and digital signals versus DVI D which is digital only.

18. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

DisplayPort is royalty free.

DisplayPort has a greater BW (17Gbit/s compared to 10Gbit/s for HDMI).

I don't care about consumer video, so for me (mini) DisplayPort is better than HDMI, especially as DP is more compabile with DVI...

To the OP - I doubt HDMI will be implemented on the MBP. Apple has settled on miniDisplayport and has never added more than one display output port, AFAIK.