Hdmi port on new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gigapocket1, Jun 11, 2012.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Whats the point of the hdmi port on the new MacBook?

2. Xcelerate macrumors regular

To connect to televisions with an HDMI port.

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

HDMI can do TVs (and that includes sound to many of them) and with a cheap wires-only adapter can do DVI. So it gives you connectivity to a whole bunch of hardware that lots of people have.

I suspect it's the video+audio standard format that's really compelling, though.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Or to projectors :p

5. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Very little to none.

7. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

8. alphaone macrumors 6502

Because there's plenty of space for it and it's one less adapter to worry about. I for one am very happy about it (I travel constantly and plugging my laptop into the hotel room's tv for movies and shows, etc. just got way simpler)

9. ralphthemagi, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

ralphthemagi macrumors member

ralphthemagi

The HDMI through the Thunderbolt only supports HDMI 1.3, with resolutions up to 1080p. It's a licensing thing.

HDMI is not an open format. In order to use HDMI, you must license it from HDMI Licensing, LLC. They dictate the terms. In order to use HDMI 1.4, which supports 4K resolutions, you must include the port on the product. They take the port rather seriously as they are trying to create a "standard". Odd that they take the physical connector seriously, because the cables and versions are a mess. But whatever.

Why does a MacBook Pro need a 4K HDMI output port? Apple just answered the "are we working on a TV" question.

The reason it doesn't appear on the new MacBook Air is because an Intel HD4000 couldn't run 4K smoothly.

10. Vexed macrumors member

If there's space, why not? Honestly I've had a much cheaper and older laptop with an HDMI out for years, it's been a long time coming. HDMI is ridiculously simple to use, and I for one am happy that I don't have to pay for a converter nor carry one around when I can just unplug an HDMI cable from my PS3 or DVR and direct-in to my living room TV.

11. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Awesome Ralph, thanks for all the good info. Didn't know about that. Thanks!

12. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I was very surprised (pleasantly) about the hdmi port, especially seeing as there are two thunderbolt ports and airplay mirroring is on the way. But the 1.4 licensing thing now makes more sense, thanks for that.

13. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

to connect to a external monitor, TV or projector... you are aware what a HDMI port is right?

14. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

Introduction of HDMI lets me think of a new Apple TV product, which we will see soon maybe....

15. Exio macrumors regular

An your confused why? Apple just saved you a chunk of change on an adapter. People these days...:rolleyes:

16. mpkayeuk macrumors member

Will also be awesome for FCPX editors looking for an external monitoring solution. Beats buying a Thunderbolt Matrox or BMD box.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Really? Don't you think if Apple were to release a TV that it would integrate seamlessly within the ecosystem instead of needing a cable from your laptop?

Take for instance the current AppleTV, do you need to hook up a cable from your laptop/desktop to use it? If, when, Apple releases a full-functioning TV, you won't need an HDMI cable to access our media.