HDMI resolution questions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by irishgrizzly, Jul 21, 2008.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm planning ahead for my next monitor to buy next year. I currently use a 20" Dell with VGA. I'm wondering if I upgrade to a HDMI enabled 360, what is the biggest resolution it supports and hence what will be the biggest monitor I'll get benefit from. I saw a deal on a Dell 27" monitor. Would I be able to get full use out of a monitor this size?

What are peoples experiences with HDMI Vs VGA on larger monitors?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have never seen a computer monitor with HDMI, but I just checked and I saw the model you're talking about (27" Dell, $1000). Since it has a resolution of 1920x1200, you'll be able to get "Full HD" out of it (which is a misnomer if I ever heard it). I don't know if the Xbox 360 does 1080p output, but if it does, you'll be golden with this. To get 1080p output, you MUST use HDMI, so it may be an upgrade they'll do.

VGA is crap. This is a decades-old technology that is really just a legacy thing. I don't know the specs on it, but you're talking about an analog connection. I have connected my MBP to a HDTV using VGA and it just doesn't look near as good as this 20" monitor. Why they even bother with VGA connections on new devices is beyond me. Buy a frickin' adapter.

However, I must recommend shopping around TVs if you're getting a 27" monitor. You can probably find a 1080p HDTV for just a little more than $1000, you'll get more HDMI inputs (most have at least 2, if not 3) and you'll obviously have a TV. If you are Jonesing for a monitor, OK. But I would recommend an HDTV for a video game system.

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Wouldn't an adapter just convert the signal – not improve it?

I've turned my back on TV due to a personal protest with high licence fees in Ireland for a very poor service. So unless I buy a HDTV and void my warranty by gutting out the TV receiver part, it's not going to happen.

Thanks for the reply Michael :D

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Didn't realize you're in Ireland, so your TV issues could be quite different than I figured!

As far as VGA conversion, yes, an adapter would just covert a signal. But if manufacturers started using only DVI, then eventually converters wouldn't be needed. I can hook my MBP up to my HDTV using that VGA-DVI converter, but I wouldn't need it if they had put a DVI port in instead. Same goes with the BRAND NEW computer I bought my mom. The onboard video (one of those Intel GMAs) has a VGA output. Why? I have no clue. The PC industry is (like always) stuck in backward compatibility mode. Windows has suffered for more than a decade due to worrying about people running crap that's older than I am.

OK, so I got off track, but what I'm saying is DVI to DVI is a much better picture than VGA to VGA. However, bump that up to HDMI and it gets even better. You *need* HDMI to get 1080p (the best possible right now), but component will do for 720p. Can't tell you much more about the Xbox 360.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

HDMI uses the same digital signal like DVI it just combines it with audio and additional DRM more or less

edit: and microsoft has been successful because they worry about stuff that is older like we are ;) ..(like porting cobol code into .NET ...)

and PC being behind technology ? you can get as much cutting edge as you want ... nobodoy stops you from buying cards with DisplayPort which has a higher resolution than HDMI

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Obviously not... The 360 outputs 1080p via ALL it's HD sources including component, VGA and HDMI. Therefore your statement is fallacious.

Grizzly man, dependent on the quality of the monitor and assuming it supports 1920x1080 via VGA, there is very little difference between VGA or HDMI.

I was actually experimenting today by chance on my 1080p monitor with a couple of games (Ninja Gaiden 2, and Virtua Tennis) both are 1080p native I believe.

Running at 1080p, 720p via HDMI - to 1280x768 & 1920x1080 via VGA I was hard pushed to spot the difference in any of them regardless of input or resolution.

The issue you will have to address with HDMI output on the 360 of course is that if your attaching it to a monitor rather than a TV, you have to work out the audio output.

If you don't buy an elite, and you get a premium with HDMI instead - it does not come with the optical output adapter.

However getting hold of one of those adapters over here is a fricking nightmare and can cost you €50 which is nerly the difference in cost between an elite and a premium. The 360's AV cable which has the optical output or the red/white audio jacks does not sit inside the 360 with the HDMI connected as there is not enough room.

But there is a solution, which means in order to get sound to an external source your going to have to do a bit of messing with the component/composite cable that comes with the 360 premium hdmi. You can simply remove the bottom piece of plastic from the cable and it will then allow enough room for both the HDMI cable and AV cable to be plugged into the 360 at the same time.

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

When you buy your HDMI cable you NEED to use an HDMi that can move more than 5 Mbps, if not you will not experience 1080p

8. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Sorry, I don't understand – > 5 Mbps?

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

FUD!

10. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

No... It's true, the image and video quality is much higher with the appropriate cable.

5 Mbps is the minimum data transfer rate needed to properly render 1080p